Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Concertone Stereo,

dezldog1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone...
Again I am looking for the voices of experience.
My Concertone stereo has shorted out in my 2006 Silverback
Fiver...was fine when parked last Fall but dead now...It zaps all fuses and sparks like crazy.
The worst of this is, I wanted to listen to music while preparing the RV for sale..uuuughh ....did not need this.
Have owned it since 2010 with no issues, now this.
I am hoping to get advice on how and what to swap this stereo out to.
The present stereo has is a rather large unit...not sure how to fill in the gaps of the hole cut for the Concertone or any unit that will mel with the present wiring system.
Also big concern is cost as I am selling the unit.Also really am hoping to keep costs to a minimum....
Any AND ALL SUGGESTIONS would be GREATLY appreciated ..

Thanking Everone in advance....
Jo
7 REPLIES 7

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
K_and_I wrote:
I replaced a Concertone ZX 690 in my 2011 Rockwood with this:

iRV66 AM/FM/CD/DVD/MP3/MP4 DIGITAL5.1/SURROUND SOUND/BLUETOOTH RV RADIO STEREO

It fit the hole exactly, and with a supplied wiring harness, plugged into my existing wiring.

Perhaps your Concertone is a different size/model, but if this one will work, I found it on ebay for under $250. Do a search.

What a low grade POS the IRV stuff is. They're not worth $0.25 let alone $250.00. The IRV is even worse than the OP's Concertone and that says a mouthful, as those were not anywhere close to audiophile grade to begin with lol. But then again when all youre driving is $6 speakers WTH.

It's been good enough for me, but maybe that tells you more about me than about the radio. ๐Ÿ™‚
Seriously, I was looking for something that would plug and play with the existing wiring (and existing hole), and this did the job. As you said, the speakers are not that great, so why spend a lot of money and time putting a better unit in unless you replace speakers as well. It was not worth that for me.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is what I ended up with on mine. Good choice on just telling the new owner that it's a bum radio since no one keeps those old Concertone radios anyway!

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

dezldog1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello again Everybody,
I just wanted to thank everybody for all your help.
Thought I would let everyone know we have decided the best route for us is to let the prospective buyer know that unit is bad and needs replacing. Just a little bit too much for us to handle in the technical end of it I'm afraid....
LOL
I did check with a used RV parts supplier in our area, we only have the one. He didn't have anything that could replace that unit. He too suggested the car radio etc... but as I say it's a little too technical for us. Splicing wires and stuff is going to run us into a big headache I'm afraid. So once again I want to thank everybody for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
This unit is just going to have to go up for sale with a bum radio. Thanks again everybody. Have a fun and most of all a safe summer everyone.
Regards
Jo

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced a Concertone ZX 690 in my 2011 Rockwood with this:

iRV66 AM/FM/CD/DVD/MP3/MP4 DIGITAL5.1/SURROUND SOUND/BLUETOOTH RV RADIO STEREO

It fit the hole exactly, and with a supplied wiring harness, plugged into my existing wiring.

Perhaps your Concertone is a different size/model, but if this one will work, I found it on ebay for under $250. Do a search.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't replace it and just advise the buyer that it's bad. Depending on the buyer they may not even want a radio. A lot of folks just use their smart phones or tablets for music and use bluetooth systems to amplify the sounds.

In our last two RVs we haven't used the factory installed radios. We use our iPhones instead.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you are looking to sell it, you probably don't want to go all 'custom' on it. I had the same unit in my rig and replaced it with a standard car stereo. I made a custom box for it to fit the big hole.

I had to splice in the wires, but the old unit had a wire diagram on it, so it was pretty simple. I did have to wire the memory save and the on/off power wires to the same 12v source so it would not lose all the settings when powered off.. (remember, in a car you would wire the main power to the keyed switch and the memory saver to a constant hot source)

Anyway, you might try locating an Rv Recycler in your area and see if you can pick up a cheap replacement just for ease of install and sale..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.