Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Open trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Open trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Faststreak

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/19 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m planning on a trip this summer maybe to Alaska. I would like to take my touring motorcycle (goldwing) to sight see on. My question is would you tow a motorcycle on a open utility trailer behind a Hosts Cascade? Concerned that rough roads and debris on Alaska roads could damaged the bike. I really don’t want to buy a enclosed trailer if not necessary. I put additional things on the trailer, bikes, storage boxes etc. thanks

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/19 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would buy a heavier style utility trailer that has 2 x 4 stake pockets. Then, you can add 2 x 4s and OSB or plywood sides. You could also easily put other items in that type trailer. I’ve used my custom 5 x 10 open trailer that way. In my case, I’ve also put some items under tarps and strapped them down. That also prevents people from taking a look at what you have back there.

in case you are wondering, I made it 5 x 10 to have less wind resistance behind my Explorer. It is harder to see behind the camper.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/19 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't. You might also go over to GL1800riders dot com and ask there. You'll find riding a Wing in AK will be hazardous to the paint.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

diazr2

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/19 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been to Alaska four times and most of the roads are very good.. BUT... The way they fix their roads up there is they tare up 20, 30, 40, miles of it at a time. They just put down gravel and add rain and huge 18 wheelers in a big hurry it gets very messy very quick. So yes your bike would be safe most of the time till you hit one of those stretches of road they are working on..Then not so much. I have broken two windshields bent one axle. Its quite the adventure.

Faststreak

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/19 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like it’s not the best idea to open trailer a nice bike to Alaska. However, I do know many have made the trip on their motorcycle. I wonder if there is much difference in exposure to possible damage to the bike?. I wish I could take it, it seems like it would be fun to run around on and explore and leave the camper parked. I’m leaning towards leaving it home I don’t want to damage the bike.

Faststreak

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see azdryheat has a Harley. Do you haul it in the toy hauler?

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/19 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would buy a used motorcycle trailer. If you buy right when you're done with it you'll get your money back. I bought a Logan Coach and really like it.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Faststreak

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/19 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I going to see if I can find one

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/19 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe an enclosed trailer? Alaska highway and that area have two seasons. Snow and road repair. The gravel they lay down will surely cause issues with an open trailer.

2019 Ford F450 KR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath

sd1209

Elko, Nv & SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/19 11:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I rode a HD Road Glide San Diego to Fairbanks and back in 2004...Rode an Ultra Classic San Diego to Anchorage and back 2010...Not one single scratch or ding....Much work however removing the white stuff they coat the roads with to cut down on dust etc....

I would not hesitate to trailer a bike to AK....use some minor precautions and all should be fine..

Steve and Liz
Elko, Nv and San Diego, Ca
2017 Lance 1172
2016 F350 dually
2010 Jeep Wrangler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Open trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.