Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Open trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Open trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/19 11:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NO! ...don't do it! Get an enclosed one and there are many reasons why but my single axle 16 ft.is awesome. I have both, my other is a dual axle open utility with outside rails but it is just that, it carries wood and stuff when you don't care about road debris and weather. Storage and safety is worth the investment and you can lock it up for piece of mind. If this is you first trailer, invest. I can't say it enough...trust me. Check my profile pic...sorry I would show you other examples but the pic function is not working correctly....

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 12:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can enclose the trailer 4' high pretty easy, like jimh suggested. That's what I'd do. Fairly easy to tarp it too, idk how tall the windshield is.
You can do some awesome touring up there for sure. It'll be phenomenal. But my preference would be to bring a dual sport instead or in addition if you like to ride. There's more miles of brown roads than black up there.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Faststreak

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/19 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the comments. Looking for a preowned enclosed trailer

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely go with an enclosed trailer if you are going to tow your Goldwing all the way to Alaska.
I have been towing bikes for 5+ years {first my BMW R80 RT, then the HD Dyna Super Glide and now my Indian Springfield}. I started with an open homemade stake bed {Harbor Freight}.

The next trailer was a nice Kendon folding single that due to the long overhang of our 24' Class C, protected the bike completely, not a scratch in three years and 20K+ miles but...

When I got the larger Springfield the Kendon was working way too hard so I upgraded to a 6 X 10' {14' overall) enclosed trailer. This for me is the perfect combination. The bike is completely protected {from weather, debris and bad guys etc.,} as basically, I'm traveling with my own custom garage attached.

In addition, the trailer has lots of extra room to swallow misc gear from the coach. My BBQ, firepit, LP cylinder, camp chairs, and rug just to name a few easily slide into the trailer. As noted, find a deal on a used trailer, use it and you can probably resell it for close to what you paid.

Here is a shot of our set up taken last January out on the Colorado River at Buckskin Mountain SP just north of Parker AZ:

[image]

This set up works so well, can't even see it in the mirrors and fully loaded {Bike, trailer and gear} it weighs just 2,220#. I just have to remember I am now 38.5' instead of the usual 24.5'.

[emoticon]

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The road gets better all the time and is mostly paved. The frost heave and permafrost up North makes the road rough. The sections being repaired are gravel. There are lots of trucks sending gravel into the air. There really are not that many paved roads in Alaska. How is the Gold Wing on dirt roads? If it were me I would leave it at home. Sort of like taking a knife to a gun fight.

DougE

New Braunfels, Texas USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I already had an open motorcycle trailer, I would create a 4' high plywood surround just large enough to enclose the motorcycle. Then cut out the necessary holes to pass the tie downs through.

2005 Leisure Sprinter Class B/2015 Honda CTX700

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/19 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have the open trailer you could use a Gatorhide on the wing.

clicky

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

K Mac

Lower Hudson Valley N.Y.

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed a bike on a open trailer, once!!! Salt air & a 3 day monsoon plus the tarp blowing destroyed my bike,out in Montauk NY. Got a 7x12 dual axle enclosed that week when I got home. I carry my ol' 7.5 out board inside with lots of other "stuff", the jon boat on top,DW's bike and mine. 14 yrs. latter still a great choice. Only regret; everybody knows I have a pick-up,and trailer.

BadgerMcAdams

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All you will have to do is:

-Get a moving blanket (or two) and drape them over the front of the bike.
-Get a Tarp and bungie cords and cover the bike (or buy a snazzy Bike Cover)

The moving blankets will act as a 'bullet proof' padding under the tarp (or cover). This should protect your bike from all but golf ball sized rocks (and if they are that big there are probably more problems going on).

I did this with my harley on the back of a small flat trailer. No problems after a 1900 mile trip...

Worth a shot.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/19 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Or by the time you do that 10x off and on in a month, get 3 sheets of cheap plywood, a few 2x4s, small box of screws and even a can of paint and make a semi permanent 3 sided enclosure.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Open trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.