cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

getting ready to full time rv

Sharon_and_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
House is ready for sale, and we want to full time in our MH. We live in Georgia now. How do we manage mail and residency, for motor vehicle registration, and drivers license, and all other legal stuff. Please help, we are having trouble with this.
7 REPLIES 7

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting ready to head out for at least 6 months. My question is on health insurance. Our policy now only covers us in our state of residence which does us no good if something happens while traveling. What do we do? Does anyone know how I get another policy that covers me no matter what state I'm in? HELP!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depending on your ages there may not be any reason to change residency from GA. At 62, $36,000/person of income is GA income tax free. At 65 it increases to $65,000/person. While not as common, there are mail forwarding services in GA or have friends or family do it for you initially until you decide to change residency...if at all.

With only one post I cannot tell how long youโ€™ve owned the MH but do not change the title to Fla until you have owned it more than 6 months...you will have to pay Fla the sales tax again. In the future if you decide to return to GA you will have to pay GA sales tax again regardless of how long you have owned a vehicle on the then current value at 6.7%.

My DPโ€™s tag costs $20 BUT GA recently added a $100 heavy vehicle tax so it ends up costing $120/year and it can be renewed by mail.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of information is available from Escapees They are by no means the only way to handle or approach the issues, but their site will give you some ideas and options.

Texas, Fl, and SD are the big three for full timers and there are established options for using all three. All three have no state income tax.
In general, each has advantages, which fits you the best is up to your personal needs.
Fl is usually thought to have the best health insurance options for folks not on Medicare. Has great weather for winter visits, and has numerous mail options.
Texas is lower on vehicle insurance, has exemptions from vehicle inspections for travelers when out of state, plenty of options on mail forwarding and services like escapees there that know how to cater to full timers and best assist them.
SD requires no vehicle inspections at all, so no annual trek for emissions or safety inspections, low vehicle tax, and no property taxes, they were also on the low side for vehicle insurance. (at least in my case) They also allow for domicile change in just one day.

Good luck on your search

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
There's a lot of helpful information in the "Domicile" section of the Escapees RV Club site:

Domicile
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of health insurance do you have?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Mail and residency are established through a mail service. You use the mail service as your address for your license and registrations. In Florida, we also recorded an affidavit of domicile or residency (I forget the name of what we sent) with the county clerk.

See if this article helps:
http://learntorv.com/fulltime-rving/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Sharon and Mike wrote:
House is ready for sale, and we want to full time in our MH. We live in Georgia now. How do we manage mail and residency, for motor vehicle registration, and drivers license, and all other legal stuff. Please help, we are having trouble with this.

Most fulltimers use either Florida, South Dakota, or Texas for their new domicile. Each state is RV friendly in terms of ease to set up new residency, no state income taxes, the availability of established mail forwarders who understand the fulltime lifestyle, etc.

I would suggest you look at several forums including the Escapees forum Escapees and read the blogs of people posting there. Most will have a link to their blog in their signature line and you will find a wealth of information about all of the different ways people fulltime in their RVs.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog