cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flattest Route to Coeur d'Alene, ID

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking for the flattest route from Las Vegas, NV to Coeur d'Alene, ID. Interstates are my first choice as we will be on I-15, but I have heard that there are some very steep grades coming from the south and east. Any advice is greatly appreciated. We are in a 40' diesel pusher with a car in tow.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher
10 REPLIES 10

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
Google Maps directions in bicycle mode shows a route profile. For various routes that I tried the total up and downs were about the same, with similar maximum elevations. But is the OP really interested that sort of thing, or the main concern the steepest single climb?

As others have said, freeways have grade standards (something like 6%). State and federal (non-interstate) have looser standards, but seldom differ significantly from that. It's local, county and forest service roads that can be steeper, and big RVs seldom choose those.

Thank you.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google Maps directions in bicycle mode shows a route profile. For various routes that I tried the total up and downs were about the same, with similar maximum elevations. But is the OP really interested that sort of thing, or the main concern the steepest single climb?

As others have said, freeways have grade standards (something like 6%). State and federal (non-interstate) have looser standards, but seldom differ significantly from that. It's local, county and forest service roads that can be steeper, and big RVs seldom choose those.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to see that Flattest Route is back!
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Airdaile wrote:
Flattest Route

Also, Google Earth has a profile feature that show elevation between 2 points.
x2
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
You didn't say when you are planning to go on this trip, but since you are on I-15 and prefer interstates, why not just take 15 up to I-90 and then west to CD'A. I think interstates have a maximum 8% grade with most around 6 to 7%.

Leaving Las Vegas on April 12th.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
US95 from the south has a couple of grades in Idaho, both climbing out of major river valleys (Salmon and Snake). They aren't steep by federal highway standards.

I15 has a broad pass on the ID/MT border, and meets I90 at Butte, a mountain top mining town. There are several passes I90, including on the MT/ID border.

US395 crossing Washington from S to NE is relatively flat, but has some hills in NC Oregon.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Sooner Schooner wrote:
We're looking for the flattest route from Las Vegas, NV to Coeur d'Alene, ID. Interstates are my first choice as we will be on I-15, but I have heard that there are some very steep grades coming from the south and east. Any advice is greatly appreciated. We are in a 40' diesel pusher with a car in tow.

If you can handle the traffic though Salt Lake city you can handle anything. I like Hot jags route.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You didn't say when you are planning to go on this trip, but since you are on I-15 and prefer interstates, why not just take 15 up to I-90 and then west to CD'A. I think interstates have a maximum 8% grade with most around 6 to 7%.
Those percentages should be a relatively easy pull for a DP. We have done that route a couple of times and I think the steepest grade was 4th of July pass east of CD'A. It is a scenic area so going a little slower up the pass was nice for looking around a bit.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Flattest Route

Also, Google Earth has a profile feature that show elevation between 2 points.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I have made that trip several times running US-95.

There are some hills but I have never had a problem.

I have run that route in a bus, a car and a truck when I moved up from AZ.

It is not a great winter route. Spring to Fall it is not a difficult drive.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....