cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 volt system problem

Byrd2001
Explorer
Explorer
Readying Aliner Ranger 10 for the season & realize no inside lights unless plugged into shore power. Battery was low, so had recharged...still no 12v unless shore power. Here is what I know.
Voltmeter reads 12.91 on battery with or without shore power
Voltmeter reads 12.89 on battery when plugged into TV
No inside lights when plugged only into TV
Breakers all look fine

Will check fuses tomorrow.

What else should I do?
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Byrd2001
Explorer
Explorer
ahHAH!! Learning never ends.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The converter will put out theoretically 35 amps, so if wire is larger then #10 you could use 30 ampere fuses.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Byrd2001
Explorer
Explorer
Converter info: WFCO. Model # 8735/8470

Again, to all who have replied: THANK YOU!! I’ve learned so much. Always been a tent camper until purchasing this unit last year so this electric stuff is a little more advanced that tent poles. LOL I hope this discussion helps others or gives them courage to try. Let me know if I need to be aware of anything with the converter.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
If you're trailer sits disconnected from shore power for more than a day or two then you should have the battery disconnected. Some people pull the negative cable off the battery in storage. Some people pull the fuse by the battery. And some people add a disconnect switch on the battery. All three do the same thing of stopping the battery from being discharged by phantom loads while in storage.

Make sure to hook the battery back up before you tow to make sure the emergency breakaway switch has power in case the trailer becomes disconnected while towing.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
A manual battery disconnect on the battery would be beneficial for when rig is in storage.
Suggest carrying extra fuses.
What is size of the converter? Make and exact model hould help. Check size of wire between battery and 12 volt distribution panel. May be good to increase size of fuse if wire is large enough. #10 or larger! Verify that the fuse holder is tight. A loose connection could cause overload.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Byrd2001
Explorer
Explorer
Found 20amp fuse blown on distribution panel ! Looking good now. I never did see any type of battery disconnect or circuit breaker...just another 20amp fuse near battery which was good.

Is a battery disconnect something I should invest in? This is quite the basic Ranger 10 which is exactly what I wanted. But sometimes an extra add-on is most helpful. Thoughts???

BIG THANK YOU!!!

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Make sure you didn't reinstall the battery reversed. If you did there will hopefully be blow fuses that protected things.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem this week when getting the camper ready for the season, had a blown inline fuse.
Mine is located by the battery, changed out fuse, all is good. Good Luck.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Switch on some look like a standard house type switch.
Look for a junction box or terminal strip where the umbilical or from TV connects to the trailers wiring system. There is commonly a circuit breaker at that location.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

htss
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a battery disconnect switch, make sure it is turned on. What you describe is how mine functions when the battery disconnect switch is off.
2012 Chevy 2500HD DA - 2009 Open Range (33.5' fifth wheel) - B&W Companion - 40 gallon aux tank - Myself, wife and two kids

Byrd2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for suggestions on fuses...nice to know where to start. After seeing no lights from TV connection, I’m thinking something is stopping power FROM battery...but this is all new to me...so just working through it one step at a time. As for a switch regulating battery versus converter, thoughts on what this looks like? Button, toggle, etc. ??? Thanks!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look around the battery for a circuit breaker or fuse.
Check 12 volt DC distribution panel for a battery fuse.
Does your rig have a switch to change from battery to converter?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow