Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: "LT" tire pressures on Expedition
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> "LT" tire pressures on Expedition

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bad part is people who are either blissfully ignorant or simply obtuse arguing about things they (should) know that they know or have their eyes and ears open to learning about it.
I don’t comment on things I’m not well read in but I sure read and glean good info from others

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mostly a CYA mandated by corporate legal/risk management

Courts know that most will NOT read the manual, Read Me First, warning labels, etc, etc...but that sets the min for any court case...what else can any OEM do?

Also, the Ford Explorer rollover begot lots of these labels and tire PSI monitoring...managed to the idiot and gorilla....that was one key advice from my mentors while still in college & first engineering jobs (part working way through college...tire monkey/welder/designer/draftsman/etc)

Part of the why some things have lots and lots of ‘safety margin’. A bridge will have X times...while an airplane can only afford 0.X times...

Then the wacko court awards...why we left the people movers industry. We had over 70% of the variable speed controlled ski lifts in the USA, but the juries were awarding huge sums based on ‘todays’ standards...even though that ski lift was designed, installed, certified, etc....decades ago...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/19 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP wrote:

Thanks for all of your input though, Im feeling pretty good about my choice..

OP last post was 4-6 and made his choice ... days and pages later were hearing about blah blah blah and blab or is it blabbering.... or chest pounding.... or what was the topic anyhow. Where's the dead horse pic. The OP is long gone.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Rustycamperpants

Sugar Grove, Il.

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To double check the installers figures you have to use the load capacity the OE tires provided at vehicle manufacturer recommended inflation pressures. Then find the chart for the replacement tires and compare the load capacity they are providing at the installers recommended inflation pressures. Industry standards require a minimum load capacity equal to what the OE tires were providing.

This is excactly what I did to come up with the 50-55# psi number. Interesting how such a seemingly simple question takes so many turns. Makes for interesting reading. I do BTW have the official Inflation chart for cross referencing the tires ... and they are still OE size.

Also, I am not "long gone" I pretty much only read this forum while I am at work. Dont tell my boss.....

2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

ghostrider421

Manaus, Brasil

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Also, the Ford Explorer rollover begot lots of these labels and tire PSI monitoring...managed to the idiot and gorilla...

I had one of those Explorers. Everytime it was in for service, the tech would lower the tire pressure to 33psi - despite tire sidewall was 44psi! Of course the tires heated up and had several blowouts before it flipped on my husband one day on I25. Not a pretty sight. The unnecessary trauma and weeks of rehab and exercise at our expense when it was the dealers fault. Eventually we were repaid - but it took years.

Capt Phillip & Mattie
Guyana - 2013-2019 Dodge 1500, Lance camper
Brasil - 2019 > 12m work boat conversion

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use weight/inflation chart for your tires, add 5psi to rear and 10 psi to front. Go to local scales and get your axle weights and divide by 2. Simple!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> "LT" tire pressures on Expedition
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS