cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

genset will not start from remote switches

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Kohler 5ckm21 genset it will start from the switch on the genset itself but not from the switch above the stove or the dash board. When the genset is running the light come on the switch on the dash and both switches will shut off the generator, but neither switch will start the generator. Any ideas of what is happening here?
15 REPLIES 15

summerwinds48
Explorer
Explorer
Try pulling connectors in the Genset control box, spray with contact cleaner, the reassemble. Should work then.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turned out the splice wires at the genset were good, so I tried to trace the wires going forward on top of the gas tank where I lost them. However I noticed a larger wire bundle in front of the gas tank with several splices all at the same place which caused the wire splices to stick outside the spiral wrap. After examining the splices one wire came loose from the butt connector due to corrosion. Reconnected the wires and switches worked again. I want to thank everyone for your help in solving this problem.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Checked the plug connection at the control board as Doug suggested connection looked clean but still cleaned the female portion out any ways, still no start. Wires looked good as far back to the top of the gas tank where I lost them. Still no start from the remote switches. I ohmed out the wires from the plug that connects to the control board to the splices in the wires that go forward to the remote switches and had continuity. I will put in new splice connections just to be sure they can pass amps through the connections and see if that fixes the problem.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
zigzagrv wrote:
Had the same problem. Was a broken wire coming out of the harness at the generator. I would guess that is the problem with yours since neither remote switches work.
Where did you find the break? I tried tracing the wires from the circuit board up front to the switch but lost it very quickly in a harness of wires.

First stop after experiencing the problem, I crawled under to check the plug that came out of the generator. Looking around, I actually saw two wires broken in the harness just a few inches from the plug. One was the remote start wire and the other was for the indicator light when the gen was on.

On my unit, those wires were exposed to the elements because the spiral wrap around the harness was about 6" too short. I added additional spiral wrap and tape to secure the harness.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The last two RV's I worked on with a similar problem had butt connected wires about 8"-10" away from the remote plugin tucked away inside a split sleeve covering. In both cases, one or more of the connections had corroded to the point of failure.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Look at the Genset remote harness quick connect AT the Genset. Gensets use a GROUND circuit to start and stop. If the pin for the start circuit at the quick connect is corroded(usually is) inside the quick connect the remote switches will not work to start but will to stop. OR the splice connections at the remote harness at the genset the start wire is corroded or broken off. Doug

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
zigzagrv wrote:
Had the same problem. Was a broken wire coming out of the harness at the generator. I would guess that is the problem with yours since neither remote switches work.
Where did you find the break? I tried tracing the wires from the circuit board up front to the switch but lost it very quickly in a harness of wires.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
I have a Kohler 5ckm21 genset it will start from the switch on the genset itself but not from the switch above the stove or the dash board. When the genset is running the light come on the switch on the dash and both switches will shut off the generator, but neither switch will start the generator. Any ideas of what is happening here?

I'm thinking remote cable connector.
Try unplugging it from the genset for inspection and for plugging in and out for cleaning it up a bit. Maybe for a silicone grease coating, as well.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the diagram from my Onan generator.

Note that the switch will just momentarily connect ground to either RMT START or RMT STOP. You may simply have a broken RMT START wire somewhere between the junction at the generator and the junction where the 2 switches come together.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksg5000 wrote:
If it's like my Onan you might check/clean the connections to the board on the generator.
That is the first think I did, but it did not help. The thing that is confusing is both switches work to shut the genset down but only the one on the genset itself works to start and stop.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If it's like my Onan you might check/clean the connections to the board on the generator.
Kevin

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
MountainAir05 wrote:
Do you mean it will not turn over from the other two switches or it will not run.
It will not turn over.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Offhand, it sounds like a loose or broken wire somewhere in the connection between the switches and the generator. I would check the control connectors at the generator first if they're reasonably accessible.