cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing PT cruiser

Dream_Chaser_
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody have experience or words of wisdom for towing a Chrysler PT cruiser 4 down with manual tranny?

Thanx
7 REPLIES 7

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve flat towed a 2005 PT Cruiser convertible for two years with no issues related to towing. Use Roadmaster equipment. Only things to be aware of is the maintenance on the water pump and timing belt need attention at about the 80k mile mark.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

okiejoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 PT Cruiser with manual transmission and pull it 4 down everywhere with no problems. I just put it in neutral and turn key to first click which just unlocks steering wheel and only illuminates the odometer. If I turn the key to the second click then all the dash lights come on , thatโ€™s whatโ€™s nice about the PT is that you can tow all day but not run down battery.

einy
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled a 2001 PT Cruiser with manual transmission for two seasons several years ago with an 1996 Class A. Towed well, very light and fun to drive.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
It is my understanding that a manual transmission PT can be flat towed, but an automatic can not. Ours is an automatic, so we towed it on a dolly. I even bought the cover for the front end (we don't tow it any more, now what do I do with the cover??) (come to think of it, do I even know where it is??)

Ours had a lube pump on it, but it was disconnected. the base plate(s) were missing, also, so I didn't even try to flat tow it. I removed the LP-1 pump and hoses, it is in a box in the garage. I did test it to see if the motor runs; it does.
IIRC, there are no speed or time or distance limits for towing a manual transmission PT.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Y-Guy
For those casually looking at what they could tow four down the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guides is a great place to start. It provide a great overview, but doesnโ€™t get into to many details.

For those that know more details; make, model, transmission, engine, etc. Then the REMOCO Towing Store is a great resource. It will tell you more details about towing; if you can, limitations, if you canโ€™t or if a Lube Pump might solve the limitation.

But the ultimate authority is the actual Owners Manual that came with the vehicle. In most cases you can do a Google Search with the year make and model to find one online.

There are users that find out that they can tow four down just fine, going against what the manufacture states. If you go this route youโ€™re on your own if there are any damages, this is why many wonโ€™t risk violating the warranty by towing against the owners manual recommendation.

Even vehicles that could be towed one year might not be recommended the next year, either changes to electronics, transmission, engine or the bean counters can all influence the change.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
I would say that IF you can find a base plate (Roadmaster/Blue Ox) it is undoubtedly flat towable. I have seen several PTs being flat towed but I don't know any details or requirements.

I flat tow a Miata that EVERYBODY says will self destroy, but Roadmaster has base plates and I have now towed 3 of them over 100,000 miles with no issues.

Tim

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I have no experience but, did you check the owners manual to make sure it can be towed 4-down (not all manual transmissions can) and any restrictions while towing?

It could have speed/distance restrictions or you may have to start the engine at certain intervals.

I'm guessing the transmission will not be a problem. It doesn't hurt to check and be safe.