Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel from Atlanta to South Bend- during football season

Jim_Irish
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking for advice.
We will be traveling a minimum of 7 home games a year in the fall to South Bend. Not including away games. The trip is around 10 hours drive time. Given the location and expense to fly, hotel cost ($500 Per night if you are close by) we are looking at getting a Class B plus.

The travel time by flight alone going to midway one way and renting a car is around 9 hours to get there and back for a weekend.

Any thoughts would be great?
Have had pop-ups in the past and towed them.

Want to make sure we have a safe reliable engine and can do the trip in two days if need be.
7 REPLIES 7

Jim_Irish
Explorer
Explorer
Great points-
We are now looking perhaps a used 5 year old Coach house or a small class C.
We want to make sure they are easy to drive and yet have enough room.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
I would also add that tailgating at football games from motorhome really steps up enjoyment level of attending games. It could also give opportunity for close away games.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is to just drive a car and stay in hotels. It's easier for most to drive a lot of hours in a car as opposed to a motor home.

Jim_Irish
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you - very helpful.
It will come down to what is also easiest to have my wife share some of the driving.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
If you only think about the numbers, and say $7000 per season ($500 room+$500 air+ car), I'd guess you'd need at least 3 seasons to pay for a decent used RV. The new BT at the link above would be 8+ years assuming intangible conveniences.

Your travel time will increase, and you still have fees at campgrounds, parking, fuels, etc. How does this equation compare to flying into Indianapolis or Detroit and staying there before and after game day?

Owning an RV is great; it's good to make sure you're not one of those people who take a romanticized view, and learn it's not worthwhile- then park it more than using it.

Depending on your needs, I'd examine a conversion van (like many millennials are), and shower at the truck stop. This chassis is very comfortable for driving, and has plenty of safety features: https://www.explorervan.com/Metris_chassis_options.cfm
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to look at the BT cruiser. Still a v-10 Ford but a smaller model than most. Here is an example, and not too far from you. BT Cruiser 24'
Happy hunting.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
There's no such thing as a B+, except in the minds of some RV salespeople that want to try to tell you there is, to get you to buy a small Class/Type C. It's either a B (van body intact conversion - Sprinter, Promaster, Transit, Chevy Express, etc.) or a C (van cab cutaway chassis coach added on top conversion - MB Sprinter 3500 cab chassis, Ford E350/E450/Transit, etc.).

So, do you want a B or a C? You can't go too far wrong with Winnebago, Thor, or Leisure Travel for a B, and the same for a C.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)