Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Well George is home!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Well George is home!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/19 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friends of ours bought that same year and model about 2 years ago. They love it. very nice rig.

alexleblanc

Shediac N.B

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/19 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

heck of an upgrade! congrats.

TV - 17 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 15 Durango 296BH + B&W Companion
others - 17 Shelby GT350 | 17 Explorer Sport | 14 Mustang GT | 87 Regal GN | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 19 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE | 12 John Deere 1023E

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Airdaile. I guess I was too excited and didn’t mention this.

The MH has front and rear Hellwig sway bars, front and rear sumo springs. 2 year old Michelin’s all around (checked and they were at 100psi still need to weigh), KYB shocks all around and a BlueOx TrueCenter steering Damper. The steering has alot of slop in the wheel. Feels just like my Excursion did when I bought it. I know this is built on a truck chassis but something is not right. So this week I will start with checking the alignment.

Well, that's not the Cheap Handling Fix [emoticon]

I would say with all that suspension work done by the previous owner, the handling has been a problem before you got it.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Airdaile wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

Airdaile. I guess I was too excited and didn’t mention this.

The MH has front and rear Hellwig sway bars, front and rear sumo springs. 2 year old Michelin’s all around (checked and they were at 100psi still need to weigh), KYB shocks all around and a BlueOx TrueCenter steering Damper. The steering has alot of slop in the wheel. Feels just like my Excursion did when I bought it. I know this is built on a truck chassis but something is not right. So this week I will start with checking the alignment.

Well, that's not the Cheap Handling Fix [emoticon]

I would say with all that suspension work done by the previous owner, the handling has been a problem before you got it.

No it definitely isn’t at least I don’t have to put that money out! And yes, I do believe it was an issue which may be why they got rid of it. So right now I’m going to focus on the alignment. The tires are not feathered. But I did find myself constantly wanting to center the wheel. So it is possible it is just me wanting the wheel to be centered! I’m sure I can get it right. By the time I got my X dialed in I could drive 10-14 hours and not be exhausted from driving. So I’m sure I’ll get this worked out.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

George3037

Central Square, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, get the alignment checked. Sounds to me like it is toed out which will cause it to pull left / right (wander)

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/19 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

George3037 wrote:

Yes, get the alignment checked. Sounds to me like it is toed out which will cause it to pull left / right (wander)

That’s my guess. I will see what I find.

willald

GA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats, Dodge guy, you are following almost exact same upgrade path I did, with a little different timing - Ford Excursion and TT, to a 2012 Georgetown Class A motorhome. I just made the jump a little sooner is all. [emoticon]

Mine has been awesome, have had it 7 years now (since new), and its been great. Very glad I made the switch. Has had a few minor quirks and issues here and there I've had to work through, but no more than is expected on an RV like this. I have not really had handling issues with ours, but I know a lot of people have. Just actually put new tires on ours, and ready to get back out camping with it here in a few weeks.

The suggestions about tire pressures are very good, you definitely got to stay on top of the tires on these things and keep them inflated right. That will make a difference, and also help your tires last longer. As one that just had to fork out a few thousand for new tires for mine, trust me when I say, you want these tires to last and get maintained properly. [emoticon]

A trac bar on the rear axle I've heard is a good improvement, too, as is a steer-safe stabilizer on the front. Both are things I've wanted to do to mine, but just have never got around to it, as I'm basically satisfied with how mine handles.

If you're going to tow with it, look very closely at the hitch receiver and where it attaches to the frame on the back. I had to have some work done on mine to re-enforce things back there, as the way the factory had installed the hitch receiver was not good, and could have led to some issues if I hadn't addressed it. I have a whole thread on here where I discussed that issue and how I fixed it a year or two ago. I'm too lazy to pull up the URL, but a quick search, you should be able to find it if you want to.

Anyway, good luck with it, and congrats. I think you made a good choice. [emoticon]

Will and Cheryl
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Willard. I will look for the thread and the rear hitch attachment. Once I get the handling dialed in it should be great. Looking forward to our first trip.

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/19 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You said you have the Blue Ox Tru center. If so, did you also find the momentary actuation button or switch? If it works and the fuse isn't blown you should be able to set the steering wheel to take the fight out of side winds and road crown.

Just put the steering wheel where you want it and press the button for a couple seconds and release. If operational and done correctly the wheel correction should now "not" be fighting you. The Tru center will be doing the work. It might take ocassional corrections depending on the wind and road conditions. But beware of fighting winds and the Blue Ox is set while going under a overpass or wind blocked by trees the Tru Center can send you the back toward the correction rather quickly. Just be ready for it.

Next get Koni shocks. Made a world of difference on our first motorhome and I only owned it a few months.

Weigh it and adjust tire pressure per tire manufactures charts. Out of all the things this also made a immediate change in handling.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/19 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Et2. Yes the true center is working. I used the switch while driving to get the preload to adjust for wind and road crown. It helped occasionally but not a lot. I looked again, I thought they were KYB’s but they are actually Koni’s.

I got underneath and checked the alignment with a tape measure. The tires were toed out 3/8’s of an inch. I reset it so they are now 3/16 of an inch toed in. Next time I get the chance I will take it out for a test drive and see how it does. Then I can center the steering wheel. And get the true center setup per the manual.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Well George is home!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.