cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch jack fully extended: Should I be nervous?

davehultin
Explorer
Explorer
The snow is almost gone, and the camper is out of storage and in our driveway, YAY!!!

I always try to get it as level as possible in our driveway so we can open our slide as level as possible, but to get the level camper requires lots of wood, and a hitch jack that's fully extended. Should I be nervous?

Here's what it looks like when it's almost level:

And here's what "almost" level looks like according to the level:

About six more cranks would get it level, if the jack wasn't already fully extended.

Here's a closeup, showing the three stacks of wood:

(FWIW, the bottom two layers are screwed together, and sized to allow the top chuck of wood to either rest in between or go up on top to form one more layer, as pictured.)

You can see in this picture that the front end is almost three feet off the ground!

So with all that wood piled as high as it can, and the jack fully extended, should I be nervous? If we're inside walking around it always feels SO wobbly. I always wonder if I'm asking too much to have the jack fully extended. Do I risk just having the whole thing nosedive on me some day?

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS
30 REPLIES 30

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
My answer was to nail a 2x6 piece on either side of a 6x6.
and lower my jack onto it. Worked great.
A 9" lift helps. I've never liked jacks or stabilizers near full extension.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
My driveway had such a slope that buy the time I add all the board under the jack, it just does not look stable even with the wheel chocks.

So I jack it level and put concrete blocks and wooden spacers about a foot back under the frame on both sides.

This require less cribbing height, gives me two points of suspension and takes the strain off the tongue jack.

Yes it is a real pain to do but it works well when I need ground clearance check the under side.

Fortunately or normal loading and unloading I can pull it near the back door. k
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:

eh :B
"eh" is so passe in Canada and dates back to the days of Bob & Doug McKenzie 40 years ago. I think it still lingers a bit in the east, but use it in the west and you'll sound like a total idiot. Don't be a zib and bump gums (had to get my old dictionary of American slang for a few good outdated words). :W

La coo coo coo coo coo ca coo,,, or something like that. I remember Bob and Doug. They had a Christmas song that was like the 12 days of Christmas but, the last line was "and a beer" .

I think your exaggerating the 40 years ago part though.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
eh!
You said "eh"?! What hoser!! ๐Ÿ˜›

I think there's a little too much cabin fever going around lately. Weather's looking up. Gotta be about time to grab a two four and head out on a camping trip. ๐Ÿ™‚

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If we'd like, we could get into a discussion of if these trailers on sloped driveways have torsion axles and how SEVERELY overloaded one axle is, leveled up on a slope! LOL
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
"Fact is, securely chocking and leveling any trailer go hand in hand. "
Yes, but with that much time invested in precisely and very completely chocking and blocking just a couple times, I could rip out my driveway and re-level it!
Lets see them pics of the crates of color coded and milled to the 1/32" graduated thickness blocks you got. The OP could use some suggestions.
His method is sooooo plebeian, eh!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:

eh :B
"eh" is so passe in Canada and dates back to the days of Bob & Doug McKenzie 40 years ago. I think it still lingers a bit in the east, but use it in the west and you'll sound like a total idiot. Don't be a zib and bump gums (had to get my old dictionary of American slang for a few good outdated words). :W

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
davehultin wrote:

SoundGuy wrote:
A little difficult to tell from your pic but is the trailer even chocked? :E

Yes, it's chocked (and well-hidden in my pictures). I have one chock behind each of the rear wheels.

myredracer wrote:
FWIW, with a TT that nice looking, I would get a nice electric jack (ball screw type)...

Yeah, that wish list is getting longer...! ๐Ÿ™‚

You did mean to add that you had one chock in front of each of the wheels also, right?

WRT the power tongue jack, that's something that would go to the top of the "wish list", and come off straight away because I would have purchased one, and in your case one with a 24" tube and as heavy duty as possible. Some power tongue jacks come with 18" extension tubes.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

davehultin
Explorer
Explorer
We shouldn't have to worry about near-blizzards in mid-April, but that's exactly what's been going on this last week here in North Dakota. This spring, camper prep means brushing snow off the roof. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Anyways, I can finally get back to this thread. There's lots of wisdom from all of you, thanks!!!

SoundGuy wrote:
A little difficult to tell from your pic but is the trailer even chocked? :E

Yes, it's chocked (and well-hidden in my pictures). I have one chock behind each of the rear wheels.

opnspaces wrote:
By your level it looks pretty good to me. Is it just a personal preference to get it perfectly level?

No, the reason I want to get it level (or close to level) is to be able to open the slide, when needed. We don't open it often, but it will get opened when we're ready to load for a trip.

I guess that's the bigger issue, there's more risk extending the slide when the trailer is not level than there is fully extending the hitch jack to get it level.

Ralph Cramden wrote:
The rating of the jack is its maximum rating when fully extended. I don't see what the worry is unless you installed a jack that is rated way below the tongue weight, your loading a couple cubes on bricks in the trailer towards the front, or you just like to worry about things.

On a previous trailer we were in a campground and I was cranking on the jack, and all of a sudden it just gave way. I had no way of knowing, but I always wondered if all the cranking to full extension took too much of a toll on the jack.

myredracer wrote:
How stable is the trailer left/right at the jack?

Very stable, no worries there.

myredracer wrote:
With the jack extended that high, I'd want the wheels really well chocked (not with the X-chock type). With that piece of 4x4 (or 6x6?) you have running in a fore/aft direction, I'd turn it 90 degrees so it points left/right so that way if the trailer moves laterally (left or right) for any reason, the jack won't potentially roll off the 4x4 piece. If there is some wiggle in the jack at that height, it is possible to add a plate to the underside of the A-frame with a hole in it to better stabilize the jack.

Good tip. (And it's 4x4s on the outside pieces.)

myredracer wrote:
FWIW, with a TT that nice looking, I would get a nice electric jack (ball screw type)...

Yeah, that wish list is getting longer...! ๐Ÿ™‚

I suppose the bottom line is I just need to drop the stabalizers when I'm up in the air that much. As I mentioned earlier in this post, the side-to-side stablization really isn't a huge issue. Yes, it's wobbly without the stabalizers down, but not abnormally so. When we knew this last storm was coming, I dropped the hitch so the front end dipped down (to help get the melting snow off the roof) and dropped the stablizers too because the wind was supposed to pick up. (It never did. Phew!)

Truth it, the camper isn't in our driveway that often, we typically keep it in storage nearby and just bring it home and in the driveway to get it loaded up. So really, again, the bigger question behind the question is this: How level does the camper need to be to extend the slide? I've always thought the correct measurement is "pretty darn level" and to get to "pretty darn level" requires a fully extended jack in our driveway.

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, if I had 4 wheels chocked, x-chocks tightened, stabilizers down, and more blocks under the jack, I wouldnโ€™t be nervous at all.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
One thing is certain. Post up a pic of anything on these boards and folks will be along with a gazillion methods to solve the problem you never had to beging with.

Also certain is there are those who elect themselves Grand Poobah of the forums and can't resist criticizing others for no other reason than they can. :S

Fact is, securely chocking and leveling any trailer go hand in hand. The OP said in his original post - "If we're inside walking around it always feels SO wobbly." Well with the stabs not deployed, as shown in his first pic, of course the trailer is going to wobble on it's suspension. Since any trailer we've owned lives on our sloped driveway during the camping season and I often have used it as a "man cave" I would always drop the stabs after properly chocking the trailer to make sure it can't shift and level it both fore & aft and side to side so I can later start the fridge before the next trip, without concern. Since the front stabs are also well above the level of the driveway I always use a stack of plastic blocks under each of them so they're only extended half way, for best stability.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
How stable is the trailer left/right at the jack? With the jack extended that high, I'd want the wheels really well chocked (not with the X-chock type). With that piece of 4x4 (or 6x6?) you have running in a fore/aft direction, I'd turn it 90 degrees so it points left/right so that way if the trailer moves laterally (left or right) for any reason, the jack won't potentially roll off the 4x4 piece. If there is some wiggle in the jack at that height, it is possible to add a plate to the underside of the A-frame with a hole in it to better stabilize the jack.

Engineering-wise, the stack of wood would be the most stable if it were pyramid shape at 45 degrees on the sides instead of stacks of wood the same width from top to bottom. If the stack of wood were say 2' tall, you want the bottom to be 4' x 4'.

I once had two levels of 6x6 blocks under our jack in a CG because of the sloping site. Unbeknownst to me, it was at the beginning of the season and the ground was saturated plus they had put down new gravel without compacting it. The blocks sank into the ground towards one side and the TT lurched to the side and forwards a bit. Luckily the truck was still chained up to the TT. No damage, just a PITA to get it jacked back up. Now I pay close attention to the ground conditions, have longer pieces of 6x6 and orient the top piece left/right.

FWIW, with a TT that nice looking, I would get a nice electric jack (ball screw type)... ๐Ÿ™‚

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
D
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
The rating of the jack is its maximum rating when fully extended. I don't see what the worry is unless you installed a jack that is rated way below the tongue weight, your loading a couple cubes on bricks in the trailer towards the front, or you just like to worry about things.

One thing is certain. Post up a pic of anything on these boards and folks will be along with a gazillion methods to solve the problem you never had to beging with.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?