Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need Help on how to get health insurance while traveling
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Need Help on how to get health insurance while traveling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
luvmydogs

Ct

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know there are many people who travel all the time. We should be gone rv'ing for about 6 months, but my health insurance does not cover us if we are out of state. How does everyone do it? There is no telling when an accident or something may come up so how do I get covered while on the road. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Under 65 yrs of age.......pay cash

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/19 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that's a little extra that your current insurance can cover. Ask them for a quote. They might even have one that's trip specific.

You can get a separate one from other insurer but that will be more expensive.

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/19 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People do it by being on Medicare, VA benefits or live in one of the very few states that still offer a PPO plan through the ACA. Or your income is so low that you qualify for Medicaid. Another option is having a full time job that you can do remotely that has full benefits.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All insurance has some provision for travel. Otherwise nobody in Ct would be able to ever leave, and while some politicians may like that concept, it just doesn't work.

Check with your insurance and verify how they handle emergencies outside of Ct. They have a policy.
For Rx refills you may have to hire a mail forwarding service for the duration of your travels.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/19 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

All insurance has some provision for travel. Otherwise nobody in Ct would be able to ever leave, and while some politicians may like that concept, it just doesn't work.

Check with your insurance and verify how they handle emergencies outside of Ct. They have a policy.
For Rx refills you may have to hire a mail forwarding service for the duration of your travels.
This is correct. Your insurance will have a provision for out of area, out of network coverage whether you have a PPO, an HMO or any other type of policy. Your out of area or network copays and deductibles will likely be higher.

luvmydogs

Ct

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing my insurance covers out of state is emergency room. Well that's great but if its something that needs surgery or if you have a stroke or something, that emergency room coverage wont cover it. I'm not old enough for medicare yet. So basically no one knows of any policies or coverage that covers you out of your own state? And basically the way the insurance works nowadays, you are held hostage in your own state, or pray that nothing happens to you when you cross state lines.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/19 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

luvmydogs wrote:

The only thing my insurance covers out of state is emergency room. Well that's great but if its something that needs surgery or if you have a stroke or something, that emergency room coverage wont cover it. I'm not old enough for medicare yet. So basically no one knows of any policies or coverage that covers you out of your own state? And basically the way the insurance works nowadays, you are held hostage in your own state, or pray that nothing happens to you when you cross state lines.

Looking forward to an answer. This is a great question you brought up. I am stuck without any insurance because nothing works. You have to enroll by a certain date in a certain state, I'm a full-time traveler. I'm a lot more of a citizen of the United States than of my certain state where everything is registered.

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/19 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

You have to enroll by a certain date in a certain state, I'm a full-time traveler. I'm a lot more of a citizen of the United States than of my certain state where everything is registered.

If you have insurance through the ACA, then this isn't true. The ACA has SEP (Special Enrollment Period) for people who have special conditions -- Moving is one of these.

Being out of state for 6 months should qualify you for a SEP. If so, you would enroll in a health plan in the state where you're staying.

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

luvmydogs

Ct

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/19 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are going to be in at least 4-6 states. My insurance now is thru ACA but there is nothing I can find that will cover me no matter what state I'm in. Only being insured in your state lines is a travesty. But then nothing would surprise me in this country lately of how low we've gotten. Other than Medicare, how do you full time travelers get health insurance? Or do you all go uninsured?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Need Help on how to get health insurance while traveling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS