cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealer never put TITLE in my name, am I stuck??

TL_Wanderer
Explorer
Explorer
In 2015, after years of health problems, I bought a used motor home in the hopes of traveling while I still had time. I cashed in my retirement account to do it. No sooner had the ink dried then I was sick again. Bought online (never again, lesson learned) paid in full. The title, after being delayed all summer, was supposed to be given to the driver - it wasnโ€™t. The dealer stopped returning my calls.
The motor home sat in a rented site since then and I spent most of my time too sick to care. In fall โ€˜18 a mechanic picked it up to give it a full checkup and inspection so it would be ready to travel at last.
Then I found out I was stuck. I have insurance on it, but no inspection without a Registration and I canโ€™t get that without the Title.
I am in Pennsylvania, I bought the vehicle from a dealer in Florida, and the motor home may (or may not ) have been owned by someone in Georgia, but I donโ€™t have their name.
PA told me to talk to Florida DMV- FLDMV said there was a temporary registration in 8/15 but no Title was ever created, so I should go back to the dealer. Dealer said the salesman doesnโ€™t work here anymore and stopped returning my calls.
Now what? Iโ€™m feeling rather hopeless. I donโ€™t know if my health will hold out for a legal battle, but Iโ€™m disabled and every penny I had is in that used motor home.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Tracey
73 REPLIES 73

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about an update from the OP? What have you been able to do?
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked into filing for a lost title. Or get a title for an abandoned vehicle. Itโ€™s a long process, but can be done all through the dmv/state. Provided it wasnโ€™t stolen, which they will check when filing. Once it gets in motion it will go slow, but you will end up with a clear title in your name.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
What makes people think ANY Attorney will take this case????? The OP from the posts has no extra money and Attorney's will not do anything without a Retainer of at least $1000. There are NO deep pockets for any Attorney to chase. Doug

Doug is absolutely right unless there is a free attorney somewhere .
Sometime simply a letter from an attorneys office will prompt a person
or in this case the dealer to provide some help .
Ray

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
What makes people think ANY Attorney will take this case????? The OP from the posts has no extra money and Attorney's will not do anything without a Retainer of at least $1000. There are NO deep pockets for any Attorney to chase. Doug

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I would get a bulldog attorney and lay the problem directly on the guy who took my money and made a promise to me. He either owes you a clear title or your money back. I'd spend money on the attorney before a mechanic.

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I would run the vin, see who's name is on the title, and go to them. Explain to them what happened, get them to put in for a duplicate title, let them sign it and take it to DMV. would work if still in their name. If you know someone at the clerks, they can get you the information. Would be cheaper than a lawyer.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Praying for the best outcome. I believe it will clear itself up pretty fast with an aggressive attorney.

Sounds like you have a good recognition of "stress". Don't let a darn motorhome do it to you!

Oh, and thank you for sharing. It obviously requires a bit of willingness to open yourself up to ridicule. It could happen to any of us and dumb things will happen to most.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It might be time to have cousin Vito pay a visit to the dealer and make him an offer that he can't refuse. :B

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about PA, most states will issue a 30 temp tag to move a vehicle with proven insurance. Check this out before a tow.
Blessings; Keith
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

TL_Wanderer
Explorer
Explorer
(I am the OP)
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond.

I have researched, and taken your ideas with me to DMVs in 3 states and the Title and Tag office (PA has apparently outsourced to private companies and doesnโ€™t handle it themselves anymore). Everyone agrees it must be fixed in my home state. Sadly, they insist here is nothing that they can do without a vehicle title.

Georgiaโ€™s DMV suggested a bonded title (expensive, but it seems my only hope) sadly, local Title offices had never heard of it. I never thought I would long to talk to an actual DMV worker LOL.

So, I must start looking for an attorney to handle it. The MH had been stored for 3 years but had to be moved. Now, the MH is currently in a mechanics lot where it was supposed to get inspected. It will have to be towed since it cannot be on the road legally until this is resolved. More money, ugh!

Someone mentioned that I had waited years to act on this, but thatโ€™s not so. I started asking about the title before the deal was made to purchase. I have been getting the run around all this time, they just refuse to do their partโ€ฆ and they always have since the beginning. After they had my money the dealers interest waned. On the contract I signed, the breakdown of costs includes $300.00 for โ€œadministrative feesโ€ and all they every did was create a temporary registration. It allowed it to be transported to PA, but cannot get a title without the old title.

The sales listing said the dealer had the title โ€œin handโ€, but they NEVER SENT IT to me. Researching the VIN shows the title was last listed as a โ€œdealer vehicleโ€, so it seems logical that they should be that dealer, so why never complete the work? I told them PA required the actual physical title. I asked for it to be sent certified mail, signature requiredโ€ฆ they said no, we donโ€™t do that. So I offered to pay extra for it, anything just to get it done. In the end, after a lot of stalling, empty promises, dodging phone calls and out-right lies, nothing was ever sent to me.

My only regret, apart from doing business with them at all, was to not get a lawyer involved immediately. But I always try to see the best in people, this time, I got burnedโ€ฆ badly.

I mentioned my health problems earlier and that is why I could not be more constant in my efforts and also why I try to avoid stress. They say stress kills, in some cases that is quite literal. But now I must get an attorney involved for the bonded title and if that doesnโ€™t land me in the hospital, then I will keep you posted on how it works out.

Again, I really appreciate all the support and ideas, I would still be stuck with out your help and encouragement.

Thanks! Tracey

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
Yeah, here in FL, they sort of push the title. I always opt for a paper title. It does take a few weeks to get one vs instant for e title.

Now, if the OP ever returns, he could check status at FL DMV VIN check
According to OP, the used vehicle he purchased from the Florida dealer was traded in by someone from Georgia. Dealers do not register vehicles and obtain new titles on trades, they just hold the title given to them by the seller and only assign and forward it when they sell that trade. It is not uncommon for a used vehicle to be sold and transferred to numerous dealers before it is actually sold to a retail customer. Florida would not need to be involved in the title for the OP's transaction at all. Georgia title on the vehicle at time of trade, sold to a Pennsylvania customer who is responsible for registering it in Pennsylvania. I still believe it is likely the dealer did send the title and due to the OP's illness they missed it. Four years later the dealer has no interest, and likely no legal obligation to get involved. The OP really needs to find a sympathetic ear at the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Department who can help them.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
JoeH wrote:
Yeah, here in FL, they sort of push the title. I always opt for a paper title. It does take a few weeks to get one vs instant for e title.

AGain, you can get an instant paper title at one of the DMV locations for an extra $10 (it used to be $7), like we always have, when dealing directly with the seller. Last time, was with a consignment dealer, who had the seller's title in hand.

It depends on if the local tax collector office offers the service of same day printing. My local office does not offer that, so if I want paper, it comes thru the mail a couple weeks later.

Yeah, very well could be, as I've only used two different offices over the years for such.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
tropical36 wrote:
JoeH wrote:

AGain, you can get an instant paper title at one of the DMV locations for an extra $10 (it used to be $7), like we always have, when dealing directly with the seller. Last time, was with a consignment dealer, who had the seller's title in hand.

It depends on if the local tax collector office offers the service of same day printing. My local office does not offer that, so if I want paper, it comes thru the mail a couple weeks later.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
As is usually the case, this thread has a lot of good discussion......and some not so good.

Given what little we know, it might not even be possible for the OP to become the legal owner of this vehicle.

For all we know, it could be STOLEN.

First, he needs to find out the legal status of the vehicle from the authorities; either the DMV in his state or Florida.

THEN he needs to follow their advice as to what to do next.

I personally would try to get the dealer put in jail.....but that's just me and it won't help the immediate problem.

All this discussion about electronic versus paper titles is not helpful to the OP in the least.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"