cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Powerpole Info Needed

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
So I am needing to create some custom wires and connections and it appears that Anderson Powerpoles are the way I want to go. Seems like the professional grade tools are really expensive. I will be making a handful of connections initially and then less than a couple a year at the most.

As I am researching I am noticing two types that are of interest. 1) PP30, PP45 and 2) SB50 connections. This will be a custom application so any sort of standardization is not important.

What I am looking for is experience and recommendations for both the connections and the Tools for making my cables. I am looking for a balance between quality and price know this is not for a professional application but do not want to have continuous rework going forward.
21 REPLIES 21

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
DC Power is my go-to place for Anderson PPs and accessories. Give a shout out to Wes, the owner if you decide to order from him. Wes is located in the Beaverton Oregon area for us Great NorthWet folks.

--Bruce.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
For us folks without a 3D printer here's a solution available on eBay: Keystone Powerpole adapter

It appears that this is a 3D printed item. The wall plate is not included.

You can also buy a few different ones from Powerwerx, same place I get the connectors and crimper: https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors These are not cheap, but they are of professional quality.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
2manytoyz wrote:
I'm installing an outlet cover plate in the motorhome that has a couple of Anderson Powerpole connectors mounted to it. This will be mounted into a low voltage style electrical single gang box (not enclosed).

This will allow me to plug in Ham radio gear (etc.) that I'm already using Anderson connectors.

I designed the plate in Fusion 360, and printed it on a Creality CR10S printer.
For us folks without a 3D printer here's a solution available on eBay: Keystone Powerpole adapter

It appears that this is a 3D printed item. The wall plate is not included.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
You can find everything you need at Powerwerx.com. Their prices are reasonable. I used SB-50 connectors for my portable solar install. The SB series connectors come in several colors but make sure you stick with one color because they are keyed differently. For instance a grey connector will not plug into a red one.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not of any help but I was digging around last night looking for something (no joy but turns out I did not need it) and Murphy's law of how to find stuff kicked in.. Since I was NOT looking for the power pole crimper.. I found it. A nice west mountain ratching job.. along with my older stock of PP's Too bad I didn't need it but on reflection I could have used it.

The Problem I was trying to fix was an intermittent between a 12 volt accessory outlet and the 5 Volt USB device that plugs in. turns out the problem was in the socket itself so I cut the thing off. Fired up my new soldering iron (It gets nice and hot if I open the gas valve all the way) and soldered the leads direct to the adapter Taped it up good and now its ... Working. Very well.

Benz-o-Matic soldering iron. Run on Ciggy Lighter Butane. Very nice Very hot.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of great info. Thanks to all.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I'm installing an outlet cover plate in the motorhome that has a couple of Anderson Powerpole connectors mounted to it. This will be mounted into a low voltage style electrical single gang box (not enclosed).

This will allow me to plug in Ham radio gear (etc.) that I'm already using Anderson connectors.

I designed the plate in Fusion 360, and printed it on a Creality CR10S printer.

The file is here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3554718

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One note on power poles.. They do tanish and if you are not hauling enough current to burn it off you need to unplug-replug from time to time.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using Anderson PowerPole connectors since the 90s. I use them at home, and at work. I've purchased and installed thousands of them. Absolutely excellent product!

Be warned there are cheap knock-offs that don't fit/work as well. Found those on eBay and Amazon (surprised me). Sent those back.

Consequently, I buy all my stuff through Powerwerx (no affiliation).
https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors

I have a couple of their crimpers, which work much better/faster than soldering the contacts to the wires.

The nice part is you can buy a kit of the 30A size (most common), and order additional 15A and 45A contacts. All three sizes fit in the same housing, but these give you the ability to use different sized wires for different applications. I also have a mix of colors for differentiating different circuits.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
The 30 amp powerlines are simple to crimp 12 to 14awg wire. For 10 awg you need the 45 amp. Or destrand it to 12awg thickness.

The 45 amp powerlines are difficult to crimp properly without their special tool.

I went years crimping 8awg Into the 45s before acquiring the special anderson crimptool.

I bought some dies for flag terminals and insulated terminals. Which fit into the anderson crimpers making them multipurpose. I also remove the little plastic anderson spoon contact holder and crimp non insulated terminals with the anderson dies.

The 30 amp contacts are very easy to assemble without the special crimper if one has a dimple crimper But the special C likely does a much better physical and electrical connection.

If you are near NCSD coastal. I can make up your cables if you bring the 45 amp powerpoles.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF I can find it I use a professional grad ratchiting crinper I got to admit the crimps it turns out look 100% professional. I have used it on wire up to 10ga in fact teh wire is right in front of me. 40 amp poles or so they are rated.

Last pair I put on I used the "Crimp" feature of a pair of needle nose pliars but it was much smaller wire and I had do do some additional "Crimping" to get it to grip properly but its solid now. THat connection is in the other room.

Go to West Mountain Radio and look over all the Power Pole stuff they carry...

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
theczar wrote:
Thanks all for your comments.

It is intended for a 400 watt portable Solar system So I believe 30 amp should be sufficient.

My soldering skills are not very good so want to stick with crimping. I am looking for specific Crimpers. I have seen some from under $20 to over several hundred dollars. Looking for experienced opinions for a low cost but sufficient quality for a weekend warrior like myself.

i bought my powerpoles and tool from West Mountain Radio
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Theczar - because you will be running wiring for a 30A solar system I recommend you purchase the Andersen Powerpole PP45. The wiring hole for the PP30 terminal is a bit too small for the size wire you should be using ( 10 guage ). Note, the plastic housings for the PP15, PP30, and PP45 are all the same and all mate with each other.

I also recommend you purchase a crimper from one of these two sites:

https://powerwerx.com/tricrimp-powerpole-connector-crimping-tool

http://www.dcpwr.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=129

The dcpwr.com people are a small business and have particularly outstanding customer service in my experience.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
A vise works pretty well.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman