cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting article "Rise of the RV"

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw an article about the RV lifestyle and the numbers increases.
Rise of the RV
8 REPLIES 8

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I don't need to read it now.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been camping with an RV since 1988 and you can easily see how the RV lifestyle has become more popular and that the trend has been to larger RVs. Also, the amount of folks that are living full time in RVs due to their work has boomed, especially after the 2008 crash (economic). I enjoy seeing the number of young families that have discovered the joys of rving and using an rv as a way of traveling and exploring. In most cases, if you ask adults that were campers as kids, some of their best memories will be related to family camping/rving.

RV sales will always have periods of growth followed by decline (IMHO) as it's so dependent upon the economy (disposable income) and the fact that folks buy an RV, keep it for a period of time and then purchase a different one. Seems to me that this factor is why smaller RV companies have a harder time surviving and tend to go out of business or get sold off to the larger RV conglomerates such as Thor. The larger well run companies have the ability to survive the market cycles and adapt their product line to keep up with what the customers want.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
As Ralph said, Brit article, UK Guardian, leans hard into MH and rentals. Obvious the author attended the Tampa show and got most of the data there.
It mentions demographics changes to more families along with empty nesters full timing.
Gives some statistics
"In numbers | The rise of the RV
Sales of RVs worldwide in 2017, up from 165,700 in 2009.

$1.8bn
Value of RVs sold each year in California โ€“ the state where sales are highest. There, Yosemite National Park is the top RV destination, followed by Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Canyon. Florida has the second largest RV sales at $1.5?billion.

40m
Number of Americans who go on a trip in an RV each year.

Number of RV campgrounds in the United States. There are 4,000 in Canada.

Percentage of RVs made in Indiana โ€“ the manufacturing centre of the industry. Of these, 60 per cent are made in Elkhart County.

RV dealerships in the United States.

$2.5m
Price of the most costly motorhome on the market last year: a customised Prevost H3-45 VIP model.

It also credits LazyDays as the biggest seller and Tampa as having the biggest show.

You may also find the article on Yahoo's newsfeed, maybe it will run from there for you.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Closed one little ad pop up and enjoyed an interesting article...thanks for sharing.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I turned off my ad blocker and it still wouldn't let me read the article so how 'bout you telling us what it says. FYI, RV sales are down quite a bit this year.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Don't like my adblocker and I don't like advertisements so I'll take you word for it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB