cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Heater

modrodr
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys! First post. I recently purchased a TT for quick weekend getaways with the family. We took our first trip this past weekend and all went well. We did have one issue, and that issue was lack of hot water. I hooked up to my water supply and turned the hot water on inside to work the air out. Once the air was out, I flipped the water heater switch inside and waited an hour. I never had hot water. During our set up I noticed that the plugs weren't working so I reset the GFI in the RR and all was good. As I was packing up the next day I realized there are (2) resets for the water heater on the outside of the trailer. I had already unhooked from power and water so I didn't hit the reset to see if that would make a difference. Your thoughts? Also I never turned my propane on, but it is my understanding the water heater can run off of shore power without the need of propane, is that correct? Again, sorry for the rookie questions, just thought you may be able to shed some light based on past experience etc.

Thanks in advance!!!
20 REPLIES 20

DerekandSarah
Explorer
Explorer
At least you didn't try and "figure it out" for 4 trips, to only realize that you simply hadn't turned the quarter turn valves back inline after de-winterizing it................

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Not all water heaters can run off of shore power. My daughter and son-in-law have a travel trailer with a water heater that only runs on propane.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

modrodr
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
modrodr wrote:
I flipped the water heater switch inside and waited an hour. I never had hot water.

So, what was the switch you flipped if not the water heater? Or, was it the water heater propane burner, but the propane was turned off at the tanks?

Correct. I flipped the switch thinking it was for the electric operation, not realizing it was propane only. Propane was not on. Rookie mistake. Only issue the first time out. Wife loved the cold shower. Haha.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
modrodr wrote:
I flipped the water heater switch inside and waited an hour. I never had hot water.

So, what was the switch you flipped if not the water heater? Or, was it the water heater propane burner, but the propane was turned off at the tanks?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
modrodr wrote:
Guys, thanks to your help you led me down the road of checking the model number. I was able to find it under the cover. Based on that my heater is a DSI propane only. I figured it out and all is good! Thanks again for the help! Like I said earlier this is my first TT and all is new to me. Thanks again!

Thanks for letting us know that you figured it out.

modrodr
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, thanks to your help you led me down the road of checking the model number. I was able to find it under the cover. Based on that my heater is a DSI propane only. I figured it out and all is good! Thanks again for the help! Like I said earlier this is my first TT and all is new to me. Thanks again!

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
enblethen wrote:
I have not seen from the OP model number!
Looking at Forest River indicates that the standard water heater is DSI only!

Yes, the actual model number, and brand of heater should have been posted, in the OP. However, just going from statement of two resets on outside gives a clue.

Jerry

+1
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
enblethen wrote:

Yes, the actual model number, and brand of heater should have been posted, in the OP. However, just going from statement of two resets on outside gives a clue.

Jerry

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
In our camper the inside switch is only for propane operation. If you turn it and the one on the water heater on (with the propane system on) you’ll get double heating.

Mine operates the same. The inside water heater switch turns on the gas system. If it is quiet and the gas is on, you'll hear the water heater fire up. The switch on the exterior heater face energizes the heater electrode. Make it part of your teardown routine to turn off the water heater. The electrode will overheat, melt, and short out if energized with no water in the heater!
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice above already...but I'm visual...
Look for this switch: Let us know if you have solved the problem.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, welcome to the Forum.
If this was first time out, was your trailer winterized? Is there any chance the bypass system was engaged such that NO water was in the water heater?
If that was the case you may have a problem.
Double check that there is water in the heater by lifting the pressure relief valve at the top of the tank outside. You can do this when hooked up to the water supply or with your onboard pump operating.
If water comes out, then you are OK and it is a question of what was switched on (or not).
If you have no water then there is a very good chance you have blown the element I'm afraid.
Double check and come back to us.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make and model of water heater? Should have label on frame of the exterior access.
Did the light for the water stay on? It is possible that there is air in propane line that needs to be purged out. It may take three or four times for the air to purge. You must turn switch off then after 10-15 seconds turn it back on to cycle circuit board.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow