cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane tank certification? 2003 Thor told must be nspected

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Filled up today at Southern States in VA and first time guy stated my tank was out-of-date and needed to be certified to include new gauge, nozzle, and something else. Thought I read on this board a year or so ago about this being a misinterpretation of the Federal guidelines? Before I go through the trouble of finding a reputable shop to do this certification (good luck, right?), just wondering if anyone has clarification on this subject? Drive a 2003 Thor Class C Ford V10.
16 REPLIES 16

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
Permanently mounted ASME tanks do NOT need recertification, only visual inspection when filling. Portable DOT cylinders do need certification at 10 ( I believe) years then every 5 after that.
I’m surprised you got someone so ignorant of the laws.

I don’t know about the OP’s area, but they certainly do in some places.

OK, WHAT places????? Doug ASME inspections are for obvious rust and do not require any certification.

Ontario, Manitoba & Saskatchewan all have mandatory 10 inspiration requirements. Even a stationery bulk tank in your yard must be recertified and bear an inspection label or they can’t be filled.

It’s admittedly a circle jerk when it comes to motorhomes though since the requirements don’t apply to out of Province plated vehicles and there’s nothing to say you can’t merely fill up before returning home.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
If your using the smaller 20lbs tanks on your trailer just exchange them at Home Depot. They will accept any similar size tank of ANY condition as the exchange. Easy way to get a newer tank well within the 12 year rule.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
ASME Tanks.

No Recertification period required.
Slightly thicker steel.
Heavier than a DOT tank of the same capacity.
Designed for stationary installation. Not designed to be moved when holding propane. THIS MEANS WHEN NOT MOUNTED ON A VEHICLE. Doug
Design & Standards governed by American Society of Engineers. (ASME).

DOT Tanks

Recertification period requirements are: 12 Years after Manufacturing, then every 5 Years.
Designed for Portable Applications. Can be transported with propane if done so according to Code.
Design & Standards governed by Department of Transportation (DOT).
It's the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ASME Tanks.

No Recertification period required.
Slightly thicker steel.
Heavier than a DOT tank of the same capacity.
Designed for stationary installation. Not designed to be moved when holding propane. THIS MEANS WHEN NOT MOUNTED ON A VEHICLE. Doug
Design & Standards governed by American Society of Engineers. (ASME).

DOT Tanks

Recertification period requirements are: 12 Years after Manufacturing, then every 5 Years.
Designed for Portable Applications. Can be transported with propane if done so according to Code.
Design & Standards governed by Department of Transportation (DOT).

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
JaxDad wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
Permanently mounted ASME tanks do NOT need recertification, only visual inspection when filling. Portable DOT cylinders do need certification at 10 ( I believe) years then every 5 after that.

OK, WHAT places????? Doug ASME inspections are for obvious rust and do not require any certification.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
VA-Apraisr wrote:
The employee said they all had just taken a mandatory course on filling propane tanks and were instructed to check age of tank by tag on tank (which mine has and shows 2003 build). Mine like most of yours is built-in and permanently attached to camper. Is there a federal site or documentation I can print out to keep with me citing the correct rules for this? Also, would like to educate the Southern States location that I routinely fill my RV tank.
You can go that way or start at the top. Just ask to speak to the Southern States Store Manager. I've been dealing with a local Southern States since 1980 and can assure you the employee has it wrong. Let the older and wiser heads prevail. The store manager needs to get the employee straightened out, and will want to. As long as that employee is putting out that sort of garbage, the store is losing customers. Not what the manager wants. And yes, I know our local manager personally.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Follow up: Southern States manager got my email and called me to "thank me" for clarifying the new law (I gave credit to YOU FOLKS) and he would follow up with his entire staff to explain the difference between DOT tanks and the permanently-attached ASME tanks on motorhomes. The only inspection required is visual to ensure no damage/extreme rust to the ASME tank.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:

JD, I'm not sure what you are saying, are your referring to Chris's statement about ASME tanks or his statement about portable DOT cylinders or are you referring to specific locals in the USA that require tank re-certification or the fact that someone is ignorant of the law.

As the OP stated later, there are a lot of web sites that answer the question(s).

In order to require lesser or greater restrictions to FEDERAL law, a State must have congressional approval. No such approval is listed in exceptions to the laws regarding propane usage and storage.

I don't know about Canada.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chris Bryant wrote:

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found several sites with rules which clearly show Motorhomes do NOT need this certification (printed it off and keeping in my RV for next time). Also, sent a copy over to the Southern States folks 🙂

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
The employee said they all had just taken a mandatory course on filling propane tanks and were instructed to check age of tank by tag on tank (which mine has and shows 2003 build). Mine like most of yours is built-in and permanently attached to camper. Is there a federal site or documentation I can print out to keep with me citing the correct rules for this? Also, would like to educate the Southern States location that I routinely fill my RV tank.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
downtheroad wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Go somewhere where they know the rules. Propane is propane.

Off Topic....but last weekend while on the Oregon Coast we saw a sign advertising,
"PREMIUM Propane."
$3.29.
:S

That is PREMIUM for sure about $1.00 more that I was paying in Newport!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:

Off Topic....but last weekend while on the Oregon Coast we saw a sign advertising,
"PREMIUM Propane."
$3.29.
:S
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)