Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Rotella for GAS Engines
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Rotella for GAS Engines

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^T6 is good in bikes and the old white bottle Rosmella used to be JASO MA rated too. Idk if it is any more.
IMO the "gas" Rotella is good marketing. I've been using regular ole 15-40 "diesel" oil in every 4 stroke gas engine I own for many years. It's the most economical to buy, and if I bought into the specific oil for a specific engine stuff, I'd have 10 different kinds of oil on the shelf.
Big mowers, 350 Chevy boat engine, Cars, AND the diesel truck all bathe in 15-40.
Idk why I'd use anything else. On sale $10-12/gal is pretty much cheaper than any other.

However the only thing I wouldn't use Rotella white in is my diesel. It stinks, literally, and for some reason the couple times I used it, the truck seemed to use a lot of oil. Maybe coincidence but the smell wasn't.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used Rotella in my wife's garage queen. My car REQUIRES 5w20.

There's actually a long story of how we got to where we are today on gas engines, oils, and manufacturers additives. Short story, the anti friction in old oils reacted with initial unleaded fuels and caused catalytic converters to fail. the moly additive is still in today's diesel oils.

mhamershock

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been using T6 for years in bikes. It's still JASO MA 2 compliant so Wet-clutch compatible,and so cheap I can change it every few hours (motocross) or 2500 miles (street). As they say, oil is cheaper than engines.

I also saw someone (Valvoline?) has a new oil marketed toward gas DI engines (I have 2 of these). Not sure hype or not.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rotella and Delo for diesels contain zinc to prevent wear of flat tappets although the level of zinc has been reduced as of late. Zinc will cause premature fouling of the oxygen sensor in vehicles equipped with them.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Rotella and Delo for diesels contain zinc to prevent wear of flat tappets although the level of zinc has been reduced as of late. Zinc will cause premature fouling of the oxygen sensor in vehicles equipped with them.

depends on which formulation you use. I've seen Delo and Rotella that is both C and S certified for the latest ratings. I believe that Rotella T5 is only C rated, at least that is what I recall when I last bought some.

If it is S rated for the latest S rating SJ?? then it has reduced Zinc.

With the switch to roller cams on OHV engines and the increase in OHC engines, few of the new vehicles have a flat tappet cam. But lots of cars through at least the 90's do.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah, marketing, what's old is new again.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

ScottG wrote:

depends on which formulation you use. I've seen Delo and Rotella that is both C and S certified for the latest ratings. I believe that Rotella T5 is only C rated, at least that is what I recall when I last bought some.

With the switch to roller cams on OHV engines and the increase in OHC engines, few of the new vehicles have a flat tappet cam. But lots of cars through at least the 90's do.

That's what I wrote: "the level of Zinc has been reduced as of late".
Any level of zinc is bad for 02 sensors and that's why it has been totally removed from all gas engine oils for modern cars.
(Yes, I know there are specialty oils with zinc added for old cars)

* This post was edited 04/11/19 12:03pm by ScottG *

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

I used Rotella in my wife's garage queen. My car REQUIRES 5w20.

There's actually a long story of how we got to where we are today on gas engines, oils, and manufacturers additives. Short story, the anti friction in old oils reacted with initial unleaded fuels and caused catalytic converters to fail. the moly additive is still in today's diesel oils.

Highly likely that it doesn't really "require" 5W20 except for political reasons.

Also....I'd like to see some documentation on that cat conv story of yours.

There are a LOT of car oils that still have a significant amount of moly in them. Look for the "energy efficient" star on the label.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good stuff. Ask a diesel owner. Oil continues to improve. It costs more but does not wear out, it only gets dirty. You can run it probably for 10,000 miles, and with secondary filtration much longer.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

ScottG wrote:

That's what I wrote: "the level of Zinc has been reduced as of late".
Any level of zinc is bad for 02 sensors and that's why it has been totally removed from all gas engine oils for modern cars.
(Yes, I know there are specialty oils with zinc added for old cars)

But does the Rotella that is CK rated but no S rating have reduced/no zinc levels or does it still have higher levels of zinc since it is only C rated, not SN rated for gas engines.

On the website T5 and T6 do not carry a S rating, however there is a T6 "multivehicle" version that carries a SN rating and a CK rating.

So at least the SN rated T6 must have low/no zinc, don't know about the CK rated ones.

* This post was edited 04/11/19 05:40pm by ktmrfs *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Rotella for GAS Engines
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS