cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dolly/towbar/trailer

treeview
Explorer
Explorer
Until a week ago I had an Aluminum Trailex tow dolly that was going to haul my '96 Tracker...4wd...5spd...2 door... that weighs around 2,600#

The dolly was locked up but someone snipped the cable and stole it.

Now I'm back on the market.

I started researching dolly's and towbars with brake systems. I've got some rough costs.

Then I thought about getting a flat deck trailer. Simpler and multipurpose too. I can find one cheaper used than trying to find towbar/brake setups.

Am I missing something? Why wouldn't I go with a trailer?

I did my homework and looked back 12 months on this forum but didn't see this being discussed

Thanks

Tom
9 REPLIES 9

treeview
Explorer
Explorer
Yup..in my head I had the complete info but the thought didn't make it to my finger tips.

On another thread I found the Ready Brake:

http://www.readybrake.com/

Now onto base plates and tow bars

Four down does simplify life a lot!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP edited his original post to give more information. Original post did not state whether it was 2 or 4 wheel drive.
Defintely tow four down!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP has a 4wd so it is towable 4 down.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed 4 down, dolly and trailer.

I found 4 down to be, by far, the east and most convenient.

If I were in your shoes I would be looking for a toad that supports 4down towing.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My 2003 has the same specification for towing. 2 wheel drive rear end first.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Is the Tracker 2 or 4 wheel drive. If 2 wheel drive it cannot be towed four down. Using a dolly needs to be rear end on dolly.
Trailers are heavier for total weight then dolly.
Only option if 2 wheel drive seems to be dolly. I would suggest a light hitch to move dolly around.

You are right the '96 & '97 c without 4X4 cannot be towed four down. I just looked at the towing guide and it didn't mention that, just info on 4X4's.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is the Tracker 2 or 4 wheel drive. If 2 wheel drive it cannot be towed four down. Using a dolly needs to be rear end on dolly.
Trailers are heavier for total weight then dolly.
Only option if 2 wheel drive seems to be dolly. I would suggest a light hitch to move dolly around.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
If I were to tow a car that was not towable four-down like your's is, I'd use a dolly. But with a vehicle like yours that can can be towed four-down, that's what I would do. Hubs and a brake system less than an new trailer or dolly. An aux brake system can be bought used on CL for a lot less than new.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Trailers are great, they have their own brake system and lights plus they tow easy.

The draw back is they require space in the camp ground.
We've often left our trailer in a parking lot before we camped. Most times we could get the whole rig in a pull thru space.
We only needed a 16' trailer for all we carried.
Other thoughts, you still must have tie downs to keep the load on the trailer
But you can back up.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.