Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Carbon fiber bed for GMC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Carbon fiber bed for GMC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This article on the coming carbon fiber bed is interesting.

Car and Driver on the carbon fiber bed

I was surprised to see how much the bed flexes under impact. That is actually a good thing as it absorbs the impact without damage. Rust proof is great too. They claim an extra cubic foot of volume and if saves you from adding a bed liner that could add another one or two cubic to your usable volume.

Since I have and many others have bed liners in may be most appropriate to compare cost and weight after the bed liner is added. That would probably make it more appealing since I was disappointed the mere 60lb savings and a bed liner seems to run around $500. I am not sure how carbon fiber holds up in the cold, as I recall that was the downfall of the last non-metal bed the GM tried. However, they do mention a snowmobile test so lets hope that they have that covered. Another big issue GM has had with innovative features in the past is getting dealers to put them on the lot. Maybe they will get that figured out too.

* This post was edited 04/12/19 09:09am by Groover *

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have any Carbon Fiber gear but I was under the impression that it was impact sensitive. Plus they don't give a price.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

I don't have any Carbon Fiber gear but I was under the impression that it was impact sensitive. Plus they don't give a price.

I hope not. They make motorcycle helmets out of it.
I'm sure there are different "ingredients" depending on the purpose and required weight savings.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Ralph Cramden

Not on this rag of a forum

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 04/21/19 11:52am by Ralph Cramden *

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

I'm sure there are different "ingredients" depending on the purpose and required weight savings.

I just read up on it a bit. Normally it is very strong in one direction, if you want to make it strong all around then you have to add more resin, which makes it weaker. I would assume the deck on a P/u bed would need to be strong all around. For helmets it absorbs energy as it is crushed which makes it more impact resistant. Of course I'm not a Material Engineer so I'm sure there are ways around the problems, but at what cost?

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

Motorcycle helmets are designed to absorb crushing strikes, and usually are damaged in the process. Sometimes the damage isn't visible if the strike isn't severe enough, but the damage is still there. Which is why many helmet makers suggest that you replace a helmet after a moderate to severe impact.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am NOT a fan of a plastic pickup bed.

Even for an occasional use by those who own a pickup as a car

Have two plastic bicycles and will NOT take them on the local train to SF Giants games. Take my metal bicycles

Sure, there are evermore things made of plastic (carbon fiber)....mostly or too many to appease the LAGS and SOS folks (fashion statement crowd)

A helmet made of this new plastic is a good application. As they have been made of plastic filled with glass fibers. Now switching to carbon fibers and again, a very good application

Note, that helmets are a one time use thing....a pickup bed is NOT

Plastic shatters when impacted beyond their plasticity point....metal will bend/dent/etc after it goes beyond its plastic point

But, it is a personal choice and hope they know/understand the attributes vs metal...not just the bragging rights or cool factor

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

I just read up on it a bit. Normally it is very strong in one direction, if you want to make it strong all around then you have to add more resin, which makes it weaker. I would assume the deck on a P/u bed would need to be strong all around. For helmets it absorbs energy as it is crushed which makes it more impact resistant. Of course I'm not a Material Engineer so I'm sure there are ways around the problems, but at what cost?

In a fiber reinforced resin material the fiber provides most of the tensile strength while the resin holds the fiber together and provides compressive strength. The fibers can be laid all in one direction or they can be mixed up. A lot like a board vs plywood. A board is generally stronger when being used lengthwise but is easily split if the stress is applied sideways. The plywood is fairly consistent in all directions. For best results with fiber reinforced material you need to know how the stress will be applied and lay the fibers accordingly. Tires often use layers of belts run at 90 degrees to each other while some things made from fiberglass use strands that have been cut into short lengths and then blown in randomly. Both methods work but the carefully laid fibers obviously are more efficient and weigh less. The chopped fibers are cheaper and easier to install. I guess that we will find out in a year or so if GM knows what they are doing but I would bet that they do, especially after the sales failure of the last non-metallic bed they offered.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Am NOT a fan of a plastic pickup bed.

Even for an occasional use by those who own a pickup as a car

Have two plastic bicycles and will NOT take them on the local train to SF Giants games. Take my metal bicycles

Sure, there are evermore things made of plastic (carbon fiber)....mostly or too many to appease the LAGS and SOS folks (fashion statement crowd)

A helmet made of this new plastic is a good application. As they have been made of plastic filled with glass fibers. Now switching to carbon fibers and again, a very good application

Note, that helmets are a one time use thing....a pickup bed is NOT

Plastic shatters when impacted beyond their plasticity point....metal will bend/dent/etc after it goes beyond its plastic point

But, it is a personal choice and hope they know/understand the attributes vs metal...not just the bragging rights or cool factor

Most boats under 80ft long are made of a fiber reinforced material, either fiberglass or Kevlar and they take a lot of abuse. Some hold up better than others. Mine is 30 years old and doing well. How well the pickup beds survive depends on how well GM executes the plan.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love it. Aluminum looks to be obsolete.

Next will be the full exterior body panels.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Carbon fiber bed for GMC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.