Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Carbon fiber bed for GMC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Carbon fiber bed for GMC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I love it. Aluminum looks to be obsolete.

Next will be the full exterior body panels.
And you thought aluminum was expensive.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are good applications for plastic....helmets and boats are a few...

But, in context...ask how many times have you loaded up your boat with fertilizer, dirt, 1 inch gravel, and the biggie...cobble stones ?

Brings back a funny from decades ago...at the local garden supply...

A guy in front if me was pestering the owner for a better price on cobblestones...he didn't get any discount...

Out back, again behind this jerk

Owner cane out to handle this job himself

Front loader with a side tilt bucket...he raised it to it's max height and then dumped it all...

Thought the poop head guy was going to bust a neck vein yelling at him...

At my turn...smiled and said wished it could have gone higher...owner said...me too...

Pickups will see lots of abuse and plastic beds will not hold up...IMHO...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We own a 2018 Toyota Tacoma. It has a plastic bed. It is slick and things slide easy. A rubber mat at $89 takes care of that. People who have installed a pipe rack and not tied to the frame are seeing deformities.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Front loader with a side tilt bucket...he raised it to it's max height and then dumped it all...

Thought the poop head guy was going to bust a neck vein yelling at him...
If the customer had carbon fiber the joke would be back on the owner dumping the materials.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cX8TzXnlTok

Figures...certain types of folks (poop heads)would sue that garden supply...even aluminum would be better than plastic pickup beads

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Note, that helmets are a one time use thing....a pickup bed is NOT

A pickup bed doesn't have to protect a persons's head either. That's why the helmet is one time use.

BenK wrote:

But, it is a personal choice and hope they know/understand the attributes vs metal...not just the bragging rights or cool factor

GM certainly knows. Buyers may not. I think this is a great idea and a good application of carbon fiber material. The real question is will buyers be willing to pay for it?

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not build one out of the premium carbon fiber, Graphene?

If you believe the hype, a sheet made from Graphene only a single atom thick is strong enough to support the weight of an elephant or small car..

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

There are good applications for plastic....helmets and boats are a few...

But, in context...ask how many times have you loaded up your boat with fertilizer, dirt, 1 inch gravel, and the biggie...cobble stones ?

No but I do carry anchors, anchor chains, scuba tanks and the boat does get beached some. As with most salt water boats it is made to be driven standing up in heavy seas so that you don't compress your spine when slamming into waves. It does get banked around some.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/19 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My anchor, chain, scuba tanks, compressor, etc are all tied down against a stress distribution matt between them and the plastic boat. Also don’t drop my stuff into the boat, ever. Know and understand that plastic will not last nor designed for that kind of use

Even soft and lighter things like ice chest, food box, fishing tackle box, survival box, etc are all tied down

Never beached mine, but partners did and there was always a yearly chore to clean that spot, reapply gel-coat, etc. One of the last straws was when discovered algae growing all around where they beached it. Bubblies underneath the gel coat said only a matter of time before it had to be ground down and repaired

Last straw was their installation of two hugmongo outboards. IIRC, +300 HP each and knew that the transom was not designed for that amount of power. So sold out my part of the ownership

The point is that plastic is very good to GREAT in the right applications. IMHO, a pickup bed is not one of them...by a large measure

Graphene is cool stuff. Was VERY expensive, until some Chinese college kids discovered a much lower cost method to produce, but its use is still experimental at this time. Plus Graphene will need to be layered and current best is poly of some sort. Then that epoxy will become the weak link...as it is with both glass and carbon fiber

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/19 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just read an article and so far as I know Graphene is not being commercially used anywhere. Indeed they are looking at Borophene which may be easier to mass produce.

Seems to me if I was habitually beaching a boat I'd bond a sheet of thin SS sheet to that area of the bow.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Carbon fiber bed for GMC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.