Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Motorcycle Lift on Rear Rad
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Motorcycle Lift on Rear Rad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/19 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone installed a motorcycle lift on a rear radiator coach? I'm just wondering if the heat from the radiator causes problems with the bike, and if the bike causes problems with airflow.

The previous owner of mine installed a CruiserLift, but maybe it didn't work out and that is why he traded - not sure.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the lift is still there, you have a marvelous opportunity to find out.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/19 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have to go buy the physical lift. I only have the hitch system that was welded on the back.

fuzzyface

Polk City, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a versa-lift on the back of my rear rad Bounder, had no problems with it. Carried a small (650) yamaha on it for several years.

Linda and Mike Kruzin' in a Kountry Star

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally, the air coming off the engine of the motorcycle (air cooled) is far hotter than what comes out of the radiator of a diesel engine.

Chum lee

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i carried a 'scoot' on the back of our rear raditor DP for 8 years
never noticed any additional heating problems to the engine
or heat damage to the bike

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bill1374

northern New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/19 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had an Overbilt lift on the back of my Phaeton. It handled my Harleys just fine, either the Road King or Fatboy. Occasionally, I would get a bit of oil film on the engine but a quick wash would clean the bike up. Grreat way to bring your mc with you as the Overbilt is also set up to tow a toad.

KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/19 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have seen many, side and rear radiator. never had a guest tell us of any problems. The vorticie behind the coach is plenty to overcome any slight reduction of cargo.
One guest had a neat solution to keep his 800# H/D FLHTCU clean, he made steel hoops that fit into sockets on the lift, then a vinyl zippered cover with a 8" 'hose' that went to an air scoop on the roof. The scoop and hose sent clean air down around the bike. Coach was rain & road dirty, bike was spotless.

Supercharged

Az.

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

Has anyone installed a motorcycle lift on a rear radiator coach? I'm just wondering if the heat from the radiator causes problems with the bike, and if the bike causes problems with airflow.

The previous owner of mine installed a CruiserLift, but maybe it didn't work out and that is why he traded - not sure.
I new a guy who put a HD 74 on one and when he got there it was a trail bike.

So big a world, so little time to see.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/19 12:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

Mile High,
Yes, I did just what you're asking. I installed a Hydralift on the back of our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. Yes, it's a rear radiator. After the install, we loaded the bike and headed out on our first trip. It involved the "Baker Grade" that's on the way from San Diego to Las Vegas. It's one pain in the bu.. grade. That coach got a bit warm on that grade, as do many. I pulled over near the top of, a pull off called Haloran Summit and stopped the coach while I got out and checked the bike to see if the heat coming off that rear radiator coach, had any affects on the Hondas paint.

Oh by the way, we were carrying an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing. While the bike was quite warm, I saw no detrimental effects. As for the coach engine getting warm, it was due to a fin-clogged radiator that I didn't know I had. That condition has since been remedied.

So, to answer your question, no, there is no negative effects of the heat coming off the radiator of that coach, on the bike.

Posted By: Chum lee on 04/13/19 02:03pm

Generally, the air coming off the engine of the motorcycle (air cooled) is far hotter than what comes out of the radiator of a diesel engine.

Not exactly. I ran an infrared heat gun in multiple areas of the radiator, the bike, the rear grill of the coach and more and, without a doubt, the heat coming off the rear of that coach is either equal or above that heat that comes off my Wing motor.
Scott

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

* This post was edited 04/14/19 01:59pm by FIRE UP *

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Motorcycle Lift on Rear Rad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS