cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installed new wet bolts today

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Another item I can cross off the list today. 3 1/2 hrs and a blood blister later I finally found time to install my Morryde wet bolt kit. It went about as good as I could hope as I didn't have any trouble pressing in the brass bushings, lining things back up or anything for that matter assembling them. The small jack handle from my 12 ton bottle jack worked perfectly for removing the old plastic bushings, perfect fit ๐Ÿ™‚ And for good measure I put some red Locktite on the nuts before I torqued them down.

The only issue I had was the shackles with the pre pressed wet bolts that have the hole orientation already set, I had some trouble being able to get grease in some of them. I verified every zerk worked before installation by giving it a little squirt of grease. I even disassemble the first couple to flip them around to see if it made a difference but it didn't. I put weight on the axle, took some weight off, and made little difference. The only thing that finally worked was when I changed the angle of the shackle slightly by jacking up one axle a little more and lowering the other and that little bit of change was all it took to easily squeeze in some grease. The only wet bolt I didn't change was the one in the Dexter EZ flex as that had a couple Zerks already.

So if I have trouble in the future I may have to lift a wheel a little I guess. The original shackles and plastic bushing were in really good shape yet, but our unit probably has less than 2000 miles.

Overall it was a fun project and glad I did it. Next Item, new Endurance tires...

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
3 REPLIES 3

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
The purge was a good idea....verifies that you can get flow, also purges out any metal particles left from manufacture.

The โ€œchamferingโ€ mentioned, is also a good idea!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excellent. I filed a chamfer or tapered relief around the grease exit hole in the bolt.
Provides a gap or wedge to help get the grease to flow.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œOverall it was a fun project...โ€

Thatโ€™s how I view all my RV projects.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad