cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Key West question

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Going to the keys in 3 weeks. Never been. Tell me about the overseas highway. Is it all two lanes? Is wind a problem? If you have a flat, is there a shoulder? Any comments or tips appreciated. Thanks!
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
17 REPLIES 17

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
It's mostly 2 lanes. There are some 4 lane areas but the speed is max 55 and mostly 35-45. It's a pleasant drive with great views. Depending on where you're staying here's a few of our favorite places to eat.
Marathon: Lazy Days on the water good sunsets great food and happy hour
Big Pine: Buck Tail Roosters and the No Name PUB..best pizza in the Keys
Sugar Loaf Key: Mangrove Mamma's good bands and great seafood
Stock Island: Hog Fish Grill
Key West: Grands on Duval St OMG and Commodores at the marina best happy hour in Key west and inexpensive at happy hour.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Mel Fisher's museum about the Spanish treasure his family recovered. Just awesome.

C20
Explorer
Explorer
We have been for the last 7 years. We stay at Boyd's on stock island. Nice campground, but pricey and packed in like sardines. Closest RV park to Key West. Try out Pepe's after 4 for half price oysters and $1.50 yingling draws. Like others have said it's not a cheap place to visit, but it is a lot of fun. Also check out Rick's and a comedian named Yo Adrian! Funny guy!
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Do this -

Seaplane to Dry Tortugas

worth every penny.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to go a lot. It has gotten a lot more crowded. Avoid spring break it you can. The road is narrow, but flat and straight. Plan to drive it without stopping.

One of my favorite ways to see KW is with a bicycle. The island is flat and everything is close together. You can wander around and see it at 8 mph. I enjoyed a summer trip, because it was just the local people with bands from the Deep South from places like Alabama. The lowest average temp is around 78 degrees, so find some AC.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yum! Louie's Back Porch! Great atmosphere and great food!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Kamphiker
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I take Card Sound Road.

Less stressful and much better visual than the White Knuckle 2 lane drive between Fla. City & Key Largo. Yes it will cost you a $1.50 toll 2 axles.

Google map it, You will intersect with US1 just before Pennekamp State Park on your progress on south.

Take your time expect delays US1 in the keys can get closed down due to accident. and Holiday weekend traffic can be a nightmare.

Don't forget your sunscreen.
2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Been a long time since I visited Key West (1776) Nice nurse though.. Turns out she is the nice of the woman who lived across the road from me back in Michigan. She and I went to the same church back then. Oh well. I returned to MI and she went to work.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just got back a week ago. The road varies from 2-4 lane, but it is a beautiful drive across the bridges.
Just be prepared, once you get in the keys, you are still 2 hours from Key West, it is a long way to the end.
have a great time!!
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s like most other roads with vistas you will photograph and talk about a long time
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Have some Key Lime Pie.
Go to Jimmy Buffet's place.
Dinner at Louie's Back Porch.
Take a pic at the southern most monument.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once south of Key Largo the drive is beautiful!! Have done it many times all times of the day and night. The northern keys are pretty tight together, in the south the bridges are a bit longer, seven mile bridge has wide shoulders.
Donโ€™t worry go have fun!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
As an aside, there are no Little Key Deer on the bridge! You will be much less rich when you return but you have to chalk up the high price to the great fun you had! Enjoy!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go! Have fun! Watch out for the little Key deer.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds