cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tacoma for an F150

mhill260
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some advice. I have a 2017 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 SR5 Double Cab. It's rated to tow 6400lbs. We just bought a Rockwood 2507S trailer that weighs 5200 dry. I've got an equalize it weight distribution hitch with sway control and a good brake controller. I've test towed a little over 5700 and the truck did well. My Tacoma has 41,000 miles on it, and I have about 5,000 in equity in it if I want to trade it.

I'd like to get through this season with the Tacoma. We only plan short trips, and none of them are through high altitudes or areas with big hills. Then I'll trade it when I've gotten three years and about 60K miles on it. I'll also get more in trade for it or I may sell it outright. I take good care of my vehicles.

Seems like a bad financial decision to trade it at 2 years, but if I need to get a bigger truck to be safe, I would do it. Any thoughts on this?
Rockwood Mini Lite 2507S
2018 Ford F150 XLT 5.0 V8
34 REPLIES 34

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
MURPHY55347 wrote:
I would be OK towing as is for now and just keep my eye out for a deal on a lightly used or new truck. By lightly used I mean some warranty left on it just in case. If I were to find a deal I would pull the trigger wether it be soon or next year. New models will be out soon.

H
I guess you didn't see that the OP bought a F150, over a year ago. The three members ahead of you did.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
I would be OK towing as is for now and just keep my eye out for a deal on a lightly used or new truck. By lightly used I mean some warranty left on it just in case. If I were to find a deal I would pull the trigger wether it be soon or next year. New models will be out soon.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are going to pull trailers, get a truck that is up to the task. We hear the "barely enough truck" speech all the time. I would just go ahead and buy a used 3/4 ton. Diesel would be an even bigger step up.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
my bad, missed the outcome. enjoy the new truck 🙂
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
if its only a short term solution and you only plan short trips, can you have the wife take a 2nd car with some of the gear? That will get you to next season when you planned to upgrade while making things a bit easier on the toyota
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
mhill260 wrote:
We found a 2018 F150 in really good shape with integrated trailer brakes and trailer backup assist. We had enough value in the tacoma to put down a decent down payment and my payments will be less than what I'm paying now for the smaller truck. So we'll have a solid and safe tow vehicle. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out with this.

Missed this - good deal - happy camping!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
eh, NM, I should really read all the way though, my bad

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 18 Platinum 3.5 EB with Max Tow. 1557 payload and with my 28' Coleman 274BH hooked up I have 400 pounds reserve payload. I use a Blue Ox and the trailer pulls smoothly and steadily. It falls around 6400 pounds loaded for a two week trip with a full FWT.

If anything, it gives the OP an idea what Ford has that can tow what he has and more. Mine is the 145" WB. The XLT and 501a Lariat models will have more payload, 1800+ and there is the Unicorn if you can find it, the HDPP model with up to 2800 pound payload in the XLT trim. The downside of the long WB is that they are difficult to park due to the wide turning radius so would take some getting use to after driving a car like Tacoma (my F150 steers car like too, so not a slam).

Oh, it also gets 24 MPG highway when not towing.

mhill260
Explorer
Explorer
We found a 2018 F150 in really good shape with integrated trailer brakes and trailer backup assist. We had enough value in the tacoma to put down a decent down payment and my payments will be less than what I'm paying now for the smaller truck. So we'll have a solid and safe tow vehicle. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out with this.
Rockwood Mini Lite 2507S

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Keep an eye out for a used F-150 to lessen the blow. We got a killer deal on our 2015 last fall. It is in perfect condition, someone just had it until the warranty was up then traded it in.

But, we've been in your shoes before. When we bought our first TT toyhauler, we had a less than a year old 2013 F-150. We did a couple trips with it and felt unsafe so we ended up trading it in for an F-250 which made a world of difference. The good thing about lower mileage newer trucks, their trade in values are still pretty good, unlike cars. We've never had to trade in a truck that was underwater.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good luck in your travels this summer!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 cents would be if going for a 150 over a 250 or 350 definitely get the longest wheelbase you can in the 150. I have an 11 and 18 150 the 11 is a crew 5.5 bed and the 18 is a crew with 6.5 bed. The longer wheelbase truck handles the trailer much better especially in windy conditions and all around is a smoother towing ride.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Sway control is your biggest issue. I wouldn't be concerned so much about weight as I would be the leverage the trailer has over the truck. Even a 25' trailer will toss your Tacoma around pretty well in a decent cross wind. You need a bigger truck, but not because of weight.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

mhill260
Explorer
Explorer
jshupe wrote:
What kind of trailer did you pull @5700lbs?

It was a 29 foot Grey Wolf. I did it as a test. Went up hills fine, came down fine, needed better sway control. But just so no one thinks I'm totally crazy, I thought it was too big. I wouldn't pull that all the time with this size truck.
Rockwood Mini Lite 2507S