cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anderson WD hitches

Sportsmen
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have experiences with the Anderson WD hitch vs. a traditional round bar hitch with friction sway controls ? My traditional hitch works o.k. but I would like something easier and quicker when loading up to go. I am using 2 friction sway controls and it and the round bars take too long in my opinion to install / uninstall etc...

Thx !
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 27BHS 6210 empty, 8200 GVW
2016 F250 CC 6.2L(gas) 3:73 diff (3157lb. payload)
7 REPLIES 7

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve never had anything else but my current setup and I have way more truck (2017 RAM 3500 Cummins) than travel trailer (9500 pounds wet) so I probably didnโ€™t even need one. Itโ€™s been fine, I have the easiest driving experience. But that could have been true even without a WDH since my trailer is tiny compared to the monster pulling it.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Don't own one so I can't really say good or bad about the Andersen. Only negative I've read is they don't seem to transfer enough weight to the front axle on rigs with very heavy tongue weight as others note above. They seem to be ideal for the lighter trailers. Blue Ox has a big following; buddy of mine has one and loves it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I used one for a short time before getting my 5th wheel. I had a diesel truck so I had an extra 800+ lbs sitting on the front axles. When hitching up my 900 lbs tongue it barley lifted the front of the truck. I just cranked down on the bushings and it was great. I actually preferred it to the EquaLizer I was using before. The ride with the Andersen was smother, quieter and grease free.

It works great in certain situations. It doesn't work well with heavy TW and softer sprung lighter tow vehicles.

01tundra
Explorer
Explorer
Been using an Andersen No-Sway WD hitch for three years now and wouldn't trade it for anything. We have a light tongue weight (around 500 lbs), I've read that if your are up over 1,000 lb TW the hitch doesn't return enough weight to the front of the TV in some instances.

It is extremely quick and easy and works great for us.
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

Sportsmen
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies all. I think I will stick with what I have !
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 27BHS 6210 empty, 8200 GVW
2016 F250 CC 6.2L(gas) 3:73 diff (3157lb. payload)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here are just a few of the many posts about the Andersen WD hitch. Personally, I would keep using what you have.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Change last two letters in Anderson to "en" (Andersen) and do a search. There have been numerous threads on it.

I have one, but, prefer using my BlueOx Swaypro. I keep the Andersen for a backup.

BlueOx has built in sway control and I find it faster to hitch up, than the Andersen. BlueOx is also better with restoring lost weight on your front axle. The primary purpose of a weight distributing hitch. They're not far apart on price.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)