cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Task Bar Completely Dead

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
My usually trusty Toshiba laptop (W10 Pro) is letting me down lately. The task bar is dead as a door nail. All icons are missing and clicking on the windows key does nothing. Can't access settings, either. I may wish to do a computer reset, but don' know if I can do that considering the current problem. Any ideas? Would like to fix this ASAP since I no longer have my 2nd computer.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
13 REPLIES 13

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
delwhjr wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
GOT IT FIXED! Finally, after much messing around, I was able to open"file explorer" I went to my C drive and scanned for errors. Was informed errors were found. I then elected to have the errors repaired and voila, the computer is back in shape. I don't know what caused the problem in the first place, but hope it doesn't return. I was all set to run out and buy a new laptop!

How old is the laptop? You maybe seeing the first indication of impending hard drive failure. It maybe prudent to run scan-disc on a regular basis to watch for problems.

Actually, we ARE talking about Windows "10", the OS that for some reason randomly will self destruct all on it's own without user intervention or hardware related errors.

With MS insistence on forced automatic updates with zero lab testing before releasing into the wild you do have very good chances of system files corrupting, your user files disappearing and all kinds of frustrating issues.

MrEd got lucky this time, next time maybe not so much.

Important lesson: BACK YOUR PC UP, NOW!!!

Quite a few FREE hard drive imaging software packages out there to choose from, get one and an external hard drive or two and make it a REAL HABIT to REGULARLY MAKE BACKUP IMAGES OF YOUR DRIVE.

IT WILL SAVE YOUR BACON SOME DAY!

Under no circumstances should you depend on the built in Win10 "backup", it doesn't work.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
The laptop isn't too old, but don't remember when I actually bought it. I guess a few years, and it's always been reliable. Unfortunately, I lost a fairly new HP laptop plus an iPad when my vehicle was stolen last Friday-Saturday.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
GOT IT FIXED! Finally, after much messing around, I was able to open"file explorer" I went to my C drive and scanned for errors. Was informed errors were found. I then elected to have the errors repaired and voila, the computer is back in shape. I don't know what caused the problem in the first place, but hope it doesn't return. I was all set to run out and buy a new laptop!

How old is the laptop? You maybe seeing the first indication of impending hard drive failure. It maybe prudent to run scan-disc on a regular basis to watch for problems.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Google can be your friend, too.

Reset Windows 10 PC

Scroll down to bottom where ' reset ' link is listed.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks, but I can't get into task mgr using any method at all. I'd like to reset/recover the OS but see no viable way to do it since it's impossible to reach "settings". My other thought is to perform a new W10 installation. Either that, or get a new PC.

Reboot and then force it to turn off while it's loading windows. Do this once or twice and you'll be dumped into windows repair.

From there you can choose to reset windows, or boot safe mode and try creating a new profile.

Sn of a gun, sir. That method worked, to an extent. The icons are back in the task bar and I can access task mgr. I'd like to go ahead and reset this PC, if I can get to "settings". Thanks again.
However, although the icons are back, I still can't launch anything from the task bar.Is there a way to reset the PC using task mgr?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks, but I can't get into task mgr using any method at all. I'd like to reset/recover the OS but see no viable way to do it since it's impossible to reach "settings". My other thought is to perform a new W10 installation. Either that, or get a new PC.

Reboot and then force it to turn off while it's loading windows. Do this once or twice and you'll be dumped into windows repair.

From there you can choose to reset windows, or boot safe mode and try creating a new profile.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Years ago (2011) my daughter who did not believe in firewalls and anti virus. handed me a computer "If you can get it working it's yours" took me about 15 minutes and most of those was waiting for the computer to fix itself .

That virus is still out there.. What does it do.. It hides everything. and I mean EVERYTHING you don't even get a desktop.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Try this:

1. CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to open task manager
2. In task manager click on more details (if not already expended).
3. Go to File ... Run new task... type in control.exe and press enter.
4. In control panel click on User Accounts, then click on User Accounts again
5. Click on Manage another account, then add new user in PC settings
6. If settings opens this way, you can "add someone else" ... if settings doesn't then write back, we'll have to find another way in.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Your user profile is corrupted. I'm on my phone or I'd paste a link for you.

Google create new user windows 10

That'll get you going again. Will have to set up any icons and favorites again but your programs will remain in place.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, "10" not so "10" when it decides to quit working :M

You might have gotten it into "tablet" mode..

Unfortunately, I haven't played long enough with 10 to know the full in and outs. I depend heavily on some online forums dedicated to W10 to figure this monster out when I get stuck..

I would recommend checking out TENFORUMS.COM if no one else chimes in here..

If it is Tablet mode, make sure you disable that mode, no one in their right mind would want to run that dreadful mode (Its a PC for goodness sake, not a "tablet"), lots of software doesn't like it either..

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Can you get to task manager via Ctl Alt Del? If so, you can try running commands from there. Go to File, Run New Task and type in control panel.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch