cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Highway 44 Northern California

Tradewinds
Explorer
Explorer
Highway 44 between Susanville Ca. and Redding Ca. is this a good road for RV's. Never have driven it and I have one friend who says its not a good road with lots of twists and turns...Thanks
Bob
National Tradewinds with Nissan 4x4 Ext Cab/Honda CRV Toad
It's the Journey not the Destination
RVing since 1970
10 REPLIES 10

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
If I might suggest, if you are going north from Susanville, once you get on Hwy 44 (going North from Hwy 36,) when you get to the intersection with Hwy 89 you might take 89 North. Hwy 89 intersects with I-5 at Shasta City, well North of Redding. Unless you want to go through Redding taking Hwy 89 North is a shorter route, saves time and is a truck route. I drive the route several times a year, always while towing and it is a good route that moves quickly. A second advantage is that you stay up in the mountains without losing all the altitude of going down to Redding. Enjoy the trip.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

Tradewinds
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the replies, I will be taking 44.
Bob
RVing since 1970

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
i can not say for hwy 44, but keep off sonora 108 and ebbits hwy 4 passes.
narrow and very twisty and hwy 4 is one lane over the top. both are closed at the first snow, till late may or mid june.
and hwy 36 red bluff to fortuna, good rd. just posted as 100 miles of turns. with NO services.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Your friend must be talking about some other road. The Redding - Susanville through Lassen is not full of any "twist or turns" unless they are only use to driving on a drag strip. I suspect they are thinking of some other road or some other area. If they were thinking Redding to the coastal area using the smaller roads, that side is indeed full of twist and turns.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to avoid the I 5, why don't you carry on to Alturas after Susanville and take the 97 up through Klamath Falls and Bend. We've done this a few times and you end up crossing into Washington at Goldendale.
We always think of this as the 'Volcano Route' as at times, if it's clear, you see dozens of volcanoes. sometimes , multiple ones at the same time.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
It is a good road...drove it many times headed to Reno from Redding(where I used to live).
cpaulsen

Tradewinds
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You Dave and Orion...I have not figured out to change my picture and my Tradewinds is gone. I now have a 30 foot Winni Vista class A towing a 4 door Tracker. Headed up to Washington and just looking for a way other than I-5 or 99 all thru Californina.
Bob
RVing since 1970

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
We have taken Hwy 44 from Susanville many times, but turn off at Olds Station to take the 89 up to Shasta. Up to that point, There are no twisty bits. Looking at 44 beyond this point, which we have never taken, Google Maps doesn't show much in the way of curves. I could see this one and dropped down into Streetview, but again, doesn't look like much. Streetview link.
Are you maybe thinking of the Road through Lassen Park itself which looks crazy! Link
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
As best I can remember is that your fried is correct about the twists and turns. The road even in a 4 wheel vehicle is not to be used if in a hurry. If you have time and don't mind stopping to let your hands relax, it is a wonderful drive. The last time we drove it we were in my IH Scout II and even with power steering that was hard to turn and tiring, however, in your rig it should not be too bad. Allow extra time, stop and take pictures.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drive that route a lot. It is very scenic, but not hard to manage at all. Sure it has some turns but no big pulls. Just watch your speed and you will be fine.