cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any DIY dish mounts?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I've never liked the flimsy little tripods and wondered if anyone designed their own simple but effective dish mount. (Looking for ground mount).

TIA.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
11 REPLIES 11

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Used a piece of 2x8 for the base, with three 18" 2x2 legs. One leg bolted solid, the other two could pivot so they could "fold" up against the fixed leg for storage. Picture a square with three legs sticking out at 120 degrees apart. Added a vertical stove bolt in the end of each leg for leveling. Used this $2 rig for many years until receiving a dome antenna.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have one like wxtoad and never had a problem with wind and I've boon docked in the desert wind.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
I made this simple mount using PVC pipe. Comes apart for storage and takes up very little space. Amazingly quick and easy to set up. It's very stable on uneven ground and in high winds.

2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've learned the hard way you need to make sure the wind won't flip the dish over. Can't always drive stakes into the ground so I bought a base for a patio umbrella but doesn't hold quite enough water to help much.

I wish there was something more elegant than using a 5 gallon pail or heavy concrete blocks. The idea of the inverted dish closer to the ground is a good idea.

Making a clamp that attaches to a picnic table is about the only other option I can think of. Except that sometimes CG picnic tables are old and rotten and/or wobbly.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've used our modified $25 tripod for almost 10 years with no stability problems just using a half full 5 gallon pail for ballast. The photo below shows our setup right now that withstood up to 50 MPH wind gusts today in Virginia.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The surveyors tripod has pointed feet with a foot step which lets you push it an inch or two into the ground. I never had it blow over.

Remember the legs are long so the feet are feet apart. Very stable.

A bucket of water or a few plastic bottles of water would be plenty.

I used it with a Slimline.

I switched to DISH with an auto align Winegard Pathway.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Is a bucket of concrete stable enough in wind? The dish will be a DirectTV HD Slim Line. Wind has been my biggest concern with any design.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom_M wrote:
A friend of mine uses a setup like the following:

http://rvroadtrip.us/library/dishstand.php

I used to use one like this when I used Directv SD. Leveling wasnโ€™t important for that dish.

When HD took over, I switched to a surveyors tripod and made a mount.

Rock solid, easy to level and light.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I made my own, which served very well for a number of years. Sadly, all the pictures have been deletedbut if you will PM me, I will tell you how to make one very cheaply. Also, I have seen ones made from Plastic pipe that are very compact, lightweight, and easy to travel and store. Most are made to use the dish inverted, laying on its back, which makes it very stable. Like said, PM me for instructions on how to make one very cheaply.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
I use a roof mount tripod antenna and screw it to the ground with lag screws.
Bill and Joey the dog

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine uses a setup like the following:

http://rvroadtrip.us/library/dishstand.php

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN