cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Airstream table is too big.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are, uhhhhh, fluffier than Airstream thinks. It was uncomfortably tight trying to sit at the dinette table in our 17 FC 23FB.

I made some tabletops out of plywood, and tried different sizes until we settled on the size we liked. Then I had a table top made to our specs. It is still 24" wide, but instead of 35" long, it is now 31" long. I took 2" off of each end.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB
18 REPLIES 18

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow!! That is first-class workmanship.

I am sure that there are some people who will say, "Why bother with solid oak when plywood would do?" But there is a value to aesthetics. In the same way, an Airstream is more than just a trailer. It's not for everyone, but there are plenty of people who appreciate them.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Next I am changing the flimsy spring loaded legs on the Rockwood table. Make it the way you want it.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
Looking carefully at that photo, it looks like that is solid oak?? I say that because the grain pattern wraps around the edge. Very beautiful, whether it is solid oak or veneer. Well done!

Yes, it is solid oak. The craftsman took several solid oak boards, jointed the edges and edge glued them together. He then planed the top and bottom perfectly smooth, cut it to size, rounded off the sharp corners, sanded it smooth, and put several coats of a sealer/protector on it.
Bobbo and Lin

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I made a replacement table, too. Bought a finished laminated panel at a Big Box store, configured it to size and ran a walnut edge around the pine panel. Made a great and attractive table top.

Unfortunately, my single aluminum post support didn't work out. It was not the adjustable and durable airstream variety. The new top supports are steel, folding table legs. A better solution as it allows to remove the table entirely and use it either somewhere else inside or even outside. Since the top isn't fitted to stay in one location, I find that one can move it, minutely, as folks seat themselves in the booth.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking carefully at that photo, it looks like that is solid oak?? I say that because the grain pattern wraps around the edge. Very beautiful, whether it is solid oak or veneer. Well done!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. I did a Google search for my town, cabinet maker. I found a shop that is a front end woodworkers' store, teaches woodworking classes, rents time on big woodworking machines, and will make your custom project. Any of the above. The best part is they are only about 3 miles from my home. I took a photo of the trailer's woodwork, and he helped pick out a blond oak. About two weeks later, it was done.
Bobbo and Lin

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Bobbo wrote:
We are, uhhhhh, fluffier than Airstream thinks. It was uncomfortably tight trying to sit at the dinette table in our 17 FC 23FB.

I made some tabletops out of plywood, and tried different sizes until we settled on the size we liked. Then I had a table top made to our specs. It is still 24" wide, but instead of 35" long, it is now 31" long. I took 2" off of each end.

I like it, it looks nice. How or where did you look in order to have the table made? Would it be a google search for cabinet maker?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
A postscript on this mod. We had need to make the dinette into a bed because we took a grandchild with us last weekend. I went out to put the original table back on, but found that the reduced size table is still large enough to make a solid bed. (If I had reduced the size any more than I did, it would not have.)
Bobbo and Lin

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Why not - not buy an RV that did not suit your needs? I like your modification but you seem to be blaming Airstream for your excess dimensions.

Well it was a lot easier than dieting.:)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Why not - not buy an RV that did not suit your needs? I like your modification but you seem to be blaming Airstream for your excess dimensions.

No RV meets every need. If I limited myself to an RV that meets every need/want, I would never own an RV. I have had to modify, to some degree, every one I have ever owned. I consider it, customizing. In the big scheme of things, replacing the table top and adding a couple of 12v outlets is nothing.

The main reason I posted this thread is to let others know that this can be done easily, and fairly cheaply. And, FWIW, I am not blaming Airstream for anything.

I guess I shouldn't have bought my Bounder then, but I checked every RV made and none had the "corpulent" seating option.
also modified my first RV, as it had no slides and the table stuck in floor mounts and was very difficult to get around, etc. I bought two wooden circular tables and used them instead. easier to maneuver around.
bumpy

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:

No RV meets every need. If I limited myself to an RV that meets every need/want, I would never own an RV. I have had to modify, to some degree, every one I have ever owned. I consider it, customizing. In the big scheme of things, replacing the table top and adding a couple of 12v outlets is nothing.

The main reason I posted this thread is to let others know that this can be done easily, and fairly cheaply. And, FWIW, I am not blaming Airstream for anything.
Bobbo and Lin

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a hybird once with a huge dinette. The table for it was big and bulky like yours. The last guy to own it took out the big table and put in with you would call a cocktail table. Big enough for drinks or two people to have dinner. It is secured with one tube and two fittings like an old diner table. Now there is a ton of room to move.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"