cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Allison Transmission Question

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still confused what it means when your shift control panel has a reading like 6 5 or 6 4. I was climbing a steep grade and it downshifted to 2 4. What does that indicate? I figured I just had gears 1-6, It's an Allison 6 speed.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher
3 REPLIES 3

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Correct.

But when climbing (i.e. on the throttle) it will never read 2 4. If you are NOT on the throttle and have the exhaust brake ON and have a 2nd gear pre-select (the gear the transmission sifts toward with the exhaust brake on) that is reasonable.

It means the transmission will continue to downshift until it reaches second gear and will do so as soon as it can downshift a gear at a time without overspeeding the engine.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
The right number is the gear you are currently in. The left number is the gear the trans is heading for. When accelerating the numbers will read from 6 - 1 to 6 - 6. With foot off pedal the trans display will be the same. Left number is the gear it is heading for and right number is the gear you are actually in.

Thank you sir, that clears it up.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
The right number is the gear you are currently in. The left number is the gear the trans is heading for. When accelerating the numbers will read from 6 - 1 to 6 - 6. With foot off pedal the trans display will be the same. Left number is the gear it is heading for and right number is the gear you are actually in.