cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the difference in Majestic Class C's?

Wildlands1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm confused. What's the difference between a Thor Majestic, and a Four Winds Majestic, and a Born Free Majestic? From what I can tell the Majestic name looks the same from all 3 manufacturers. Am I mistaken? Which is made the best of the more common Four Winds and Thor Motor Coach types? I'm in the market for a used Class C around 24-25 feet, rear bed, for a bargain, that's well built.
9 REPLIES 9

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
John S. wrote:
tibbitts wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I liked the construction of a born free.
bumpy

Apparently, not enough other people did - or at least they weren't willing to pay the price for that construction.

Actually the owner died from cancer and hedge fund bought them and then decided to close up when they were not hitting a much higher target ROI then they wanted. They sold off the company that was making money in pieces.

a repeat born free buyer, sounds favorable.
bumpy

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
tibbitts wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Apparently, not enough other people did - or at least they weren't willing to pay the price for that construction.

Actually the owner died from cancer and hedge fund bought them and then decided to close up when they were not hitting a much higher target ROI then they wanted. They sold off the company that was making money in pieces.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:

I don't think it was construction issues that caused half the RV industry to close down. As I recall, their units had three metal roll bars and one of their ads showed a largely intact unit that had been rolled.
I think that they were too small to survive, when I visited their plant there was very little going on. I think the owner (Dargen?) died fairly recently.
bumpy

This is true the owner, John Dodgen passed away in 2015 and the company did not survive.

As for the construction they did have built in roll bars and in This article you can see one of their units in a rollover crash.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
tibbitts wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

I don't think it was construction issues that caused half the RV industry to close down. As I recall, their units had three metal roll bars and one of their ads showed a largely intact unit that had been rolled.
I think that they were too small to survive, when I visited their plant there was very little going on. I think the owner (Dargen?) died fairly recently.
bumpy

tibbitts
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 x-cab V8 5.3L

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
What Drew said. Over the years, CruiseAmerica has bought Class C motorhomes from Fleetwood, Fourwinds, and possibly Coachmen, all being branded "Majestic" for resale. Fourwinds is a brand of Thor Industries; for a long time the Fourwinds company was one of at least four Thor companies manufacturing motorhomes, more recently three were consolidated into a single company named Thor Motor Coach. Fourwinds Majestic and Thor Majestic will thus be pretty much the same thing, except of different years. There are always evolutionary changes over the years, so newer models may have different models or brands for the equipment fitted.

Bornfree was an entirely different company, making coaches of premium construction to sell at high prices. If they had a "Majestic" model it would be something special.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
What Drew E has said is true,Majestic is what Cruise America brands their former rentals. They are made by Thor and Four Winds,basically the same company.

The Bornfree Majestic was a separate company that built a high Quality RV one piece fiberglass body. RV that went out of business in 2017

There are many happy owners of Former Rentals on this forum,they are well built and have been maintained well. To see a thread about them just click on the clicky in my signature.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
"Majestic" is what Cruise America brands whatever units they have contracted to be built. At different times they've contracted with different companies, presumably with similar sorts of specifications (these are not standard, off-the-shelf products that the companies otherwise produce). The difference between the Thor, etc. ones is just who built them.

In general, I would not expect vast differences in build quality between the Thor and Four Winds variants. I could well be wrong; I haven't studied the matter in detail at all.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy