cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof Rack-Class C, Anyone ?

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to be building roof racks for our Winnebago class C. I will be making a simple 8' wide aluminum square tube (X2) for Kayaks. Has anyone done this before ? How did you attach ? I would like to mount into the roof and seal the holes, but I am concerned about the layout of the internal wiring and A/C ducts built into the roof structure. I see from info online that Winnebago installs sheet metal plates where things such as satellite dish etc are to be mounted for strength, obviously I don't have these where I want to mount the racks in the rear of the coach, this has me concerned about the strength of the roof to hold a screw otherwise. I also thought about installing a nutsert through the fiberglass and wood layer of the roof to help with pull-out strength. Thoughts ?

Oh, and yes I searched this and other forums. I know how I'm going to build the racks, I have not seen a post regarding my mounting question and how others have done it. Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
My rig came with roof rack but there is no way I would put a kayak up there - maybe on the rear bumper but not on the roof. RV roofs are one of the weak points on rigs and many avoid trying to place any weight/strain on them. Just my 02.

I don't know if you have ever walked on a Winnebago roof, but it's like walking on the ground. I go 270 (unfortunately) and the roof is a solid as a rock. Other makes I've been on, not so much, I feel like i'm going to fall through. Many people will chime in now saying that don't like how Winnebago seals the edges, but as far as being solid, I have no concern. Thanks for the input.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Our factory roof rack must have been brushed by overhanging trees or something prior to our purchase. It was loose and several of the mounting screw holes leaked. I removed the rack and did a patch with eternabond tape, problem solved.
Brian

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2, Kevin. What does the RV manufacturer say?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
My rig came with roof rack but there is no way I would put a kayak up there - maybe on the rear bumper but not on the roof. RV roofs are one of the weak points on rigs and many avoid trying to place any weight/strain on them. Just my 02.
Kevin

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures sent.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty,
PM sent.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I have done that to 2 Itasca mh's.
They each have fiber glass roofs, and I did not put holes in the roof.
I use a 3-1/2" hole saw to make wheels/disc's/donuts. I'm not a very good scribe, I would post a picture but I've tried and have not been able to do that with my MacBook. I can e-mail pictures.
PM me your e-mail add if you would like pictures. If not I will try to explain how I built my racks.

Dusty