Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roof Rack-Class C, Anyone ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Roof Rack-Class C, Anyone ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going to be building roof racks for our Winnebago class C. I will be making a simple 8' wide aluminum square tube (X2) for Kayaks. Has anyone done this before ? How did you attach ? I would like to mount into the roof and seal the holes, but I am concerned about the layout of the internal wiring and A/C ducts built into the roof structure. I see from info online that Winnebago installs sheet metal plates where things such as satellite dish etc are to be mounted for strength, obviously I don't have these where I want to mount the racks in the rear of the coach, this has me concerned about the strength of the roof to hold a screw otherwise. I also thought about installing a nutsert through the fiberglass and wood layer of the roof to help with pull-out strength. Thoughts ?

Oh, and yes I searched this and other forums. I know how I'm going to build the racks, I have not seen a post regarding my mounting question and how others have done it. Thanks

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/19 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done that to 2 Itasca mh's.
They each have fiber glass roofs, and I did not put holes in the roof.
I use a 3-1/2" hole saw to make wheels/disc's/donuts. I'm not a very good scribe, I would post a picture but I've tried and have not been able to do that with my MacBook. I can e-mail pictures.
PM me your e-mail add if you would like pictures. If not I will try to explain how I built my racks.

Dusty

blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dusty,
PM sent.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/19 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pictures sent.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/19 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rig came with roof rack but there is no way I would put a kayak up there - maybe on the rear bumper but not on the roof. RV roofs are one of the weak points on rigs and many avoid trying to place any weight/strain on them. Just my 02.

Kevin

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/19 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2, Kevin. What does the RV manufacturer say?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our factory roof rack must have been brushed by overhanging trees or something prior to our purchase. It was loose and several of the mounting screw holes leaked. I removed the rack and did a patch with eternabond tape, problem solved.
Brian

blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

My rig came with roof rack but there is no way I would put a kayak up there - maybe on the rear bumper but not on the roof. RV roofs are one of the weak points on rigs and many avoid trying to place any weight/strain on them. Just my 02.

I don't know if you have ever walked on a Winnebago roof, but it's like walking on the ground. I go 270 (unfortunately) and the roof is a solid as a rock. Other makes I've been on, not so much, I feel like i'm going to fall through. Many people will chime in now saying that don't like how Winnebago seals the edges, but as far as being solid, I have no concern. Thanks for the input.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Roof Rack-Class C, Anyone ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS