Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Salt, Rust, and the value of a diesel engine
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Salt, Rust, and the value of a diesel engine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
bguy

The Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It doesn't matter the brand. Only the truck itself will be the answer.

---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:

Well I guess I'm the exception to the rule than. My 04 with 150K+ was spotless inside and out and 100% maintained better than the factory recommendations. I don't keep vehicles past the 150K mark because I'm tired of them by than. Even my wifes lease vehicles are maintained to the factory specs.

Funny if someone does not maintain their vehicle they should NEVER complain about how it runs or doesn't runs!

Don

If you already plan to trade it in before problems arise from lack of maintenance then there would be no need to complain. You are also not the exception to what I said. From my experiences, most who do both are those that keep their vehicles for the long haul and therefore their vehicle would not be for sale in the first place.

This is why I am stay away of a low mileage one to two year old vehicles with 30-60k on them unless I see verified maintenance records. Vehicles today can go that long without proper maintenance and show no signs of issues. As I said before, it is more common than many think from what i have seen at the dealer level.

* This post was edited 04/18/19 09:50am by ShinerBock *

Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always Ziebart our vehicles from new and the bodies seem to keep in pretty good shape. We live in a area that has very long, cold winters and although sometimes the winter turns mild for a bit...you know ice turns to slush...mostly I think the preponderance of -20 and colder days makes sure the salt doesn't get a chance to work that much during the winter.

They do salt some, probably not as much as those places with warmer winters as I believe salt in order to be effective at melting ice, does not work well in very cold temps.

As others have said, probably the best place to find a truck with little rust would be in the SW parts of the USA, like Arizona, New Mexico, etc.

6.2Superduty

ofallon mo

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/19 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My advice is to find a truck from out west or down south. I picked up a 2012 f250 two years ago that came out of the western side of Colorado. Didnt have a spot of rust underneath.

whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/19 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not buy a used truck from Texas, Arizona or some other southern state where rust is unlikely? Then flush out the body and have a rust-proofing treatment performed on the truck?

Bill J., Lexington, KY

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another strategy that may help either choice would be an annual wash down and treatment with something like FLUIDFILM.

A lot of work to properly cover all the spots and inside box frames and such. Well worth having a professional do it.

Shouldn't be too much once per year and definitely helps preserve your investment.

Let us know what you choose and good luck!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fluid film is good stuff. I use it once in a while on things. It sticks. I've never used it on areas exposed to repeated "washing" like the exposed underside of a vehicle.
But yeah, even as much as I don't like the thought of a gross oily undercarriage, I'd be very tempted to do the oil spray thing on the chassis if I had a nice winter vehicle in the land of salt.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be willing to fly to a desert state to buy a good used truck and drive it home, just like for a collector car.

4bearhug

midwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't rule out any truck from upper midwest until I found out how it was used. Lots of folks use their HD trucks to snowbird during the winter months so the trucks are not exposed to the hard winter weather. You would be surprised at how many RVs head south in the fall and north in the spring.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Salt, Rust, and the value of a diesel engine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS