cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken leaf springs - third time!

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
My 2005 Prowler trailer has just had its third case of broken leaf springs. The first occured just 2 years after purchase, and the second 5 years after that. That set lasted a while longer: 7 years; maybe because I took it to a specialty shop and had them put on "extra heavy duty" springs".

Not good enough. Why do they keep breaking? I inspected the damage: The leaf just broke in half close to where it attaches to the frame. The metal doesn't appear to be corroded badly: surface rust but the inside metal looks shiny.

The design seems strange: Though there are several layers of leaves through the center (4 I think) it diminishes to a single leaf at the attachment. That seems like a weak spot. And indeed that's where the break occurred all three times. Is that a normal design?

I'd love to find a fix for this. I know it's an old trailer but is 2-7 years really the longest I can expect before a failure? This is the worst kind of breakdown because it comes without warning and can cause major problems if it happens far from home. Amazingly, the last failure happened 100 feet from my driveway! So all I lost was 4 days camping reservations 😞

Trailer GVW is 8000 pounds and I do not have it heavily loaded with gear or supplies.
David Kojen
39 REPLIES 39

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
We just had a small travel trailer towed in to the shop today with a broken spring, from the looks of things the front fixed eye was over tightened and put undue strain on the spring.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Slowmover wrote:
Advantages so far outweigh disadvantage (there aren’t any) that to continue to use leaf is questionable brains.

While the cheap leaf spring suspensions are built poorly, there is an advantage in that they have equalizers to keep both axles carrying approximately the same weight. I have a large enclosed trailer with torsion axles and many times, when going over or parking on rough terrain, one or two tires are completely off the ground causing overload on the remaining.

My thought is that a trailer with torsion axles better have a reinforced frame and much higher rated axles, tires and wheels. It is better to use your brain and question all aspects of the various suspensions.

No, Torsion doesn’t need reinforced frame. It exerts less stress. More pliable, if you want a word.

HA! Read this and learn: FEA

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Slowmover wrote:
Advantages so far outweigh disadvantage (there aren’t any) that to continue to use leaf is questionable brains.

While the cheap leaf spring suspensions are built poorly, there is an advantage in that they have equalizers to keep both axles carrying approximately the same weight. I have a large enclosed trailer with torsion axles and many times, when going over or parking on rough terrain, one or two tires are completely off the ground causing overload on the remaining.

My thought is that a trailer with torsion axles better have a reinforced frame and much higher rated axles, tires and wheels. It is better to use your brain and question all aspects of the various suspensions.

Ha! As if leaf doesn’t do the same. What you miss is that leaf has half or less the wheel travel. Which is likelier to hang? And those “equalizers” are more of a joke than a reality. (The leaf problems continue)

Leaf can be good. But not without invading trailer living space. Look closely at a leaf rear vehicle. Frame shape. Attach points. Etc.

The track width in leaf ends at the u-bolt / axle attach point. Narrow as hell. Look at U-Haul. This point is congruent with outer wall. That’s key.

Torsion is at wheel face. Which should also be at trailer wall.

No, Torsion doesn’t need reinforced frame. It exerts less stress. More pliable, if you want a word.

Torsion is a huge step up in stability. Which is safety.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't mind the leaf springs at all. It would help though if they didn't use those terrible cheapo plastic bushings that totally wear out in just a couple thousand miles. :M

They oughta make shocks standard too. Would you drive a car without them?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
BTW I read Torsion axles also wear out over time and need replaced.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover wrote:

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Slowmover wrote:
Best solution is to convert to TORSION AXLE

Wider track and are fully independent. TT is FAR more stable. AND has a smoother ride.

Leaf spring on travel trailer has been obsolete/unacceptable for more than fifty years.

Maybe they are better. But, don't they have rubber bushings on them that will go bad after awhile too ? And, can't the Torsion Bar wear out ? I remember back in the day you had to crank up the front Torsion Bar axles on your Mopars after a few years because they would start to sag.

Maybe bad. 20-years. Sometimes not at all. Advantages so far outweigh disadvantage (there aren’t any) that to continue to use leaf is questionable brains.

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
How a torsion axel works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaU9xYL3BVw

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slowmover wrote:

Wider track and are fully independent. TT is FAR more stable. AND has a smoother ride.

Leaf spring on travel trailer has been obsolete/unacceptable for more than fifty years.

Maybe they are better. But, don't they have rubber bushings on them that will go bad after awhile too ? And, can't the Torsion Bar wear out ? I remember back in the day you had to crank up the front Torsion Bar axles on your Mopars after a few years because they would start to sag.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
I think he means jack knife the trailer not lift it.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Do you routinely have to 'jack' trailer to park it?

Why would someone have to jack the trailer to park it? what purpose does it serve to lift the trailer up to park it, with a jack?
Bob

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Assuming the 5000 to 6000 is the rating for the pair... I think 5000/5200 will be plenty. I believe that is what I have on my 3500 axles and it rides great.
I have the wet bolts but no shocks.

If you have the original springs, they are rated 1,750 lbs each.
I replaced mine as they were sagging so bad the alignment was off and scrubbing the tires.

I did a thread with pictures if you want me to dig it up from the archives.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Assuming the 5000 to 6000 is the rating for the pair... I think 5000/5200 will be plenty. I believe that is what I have on my 3500 axles and it rides great.
I have the wet bolts but no shocks.

If you have the original springs, they are rated 1,750 lbs each.