cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Bridge Crossings

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
We are taking what may be our last rv to the U.S. We left on Sunday morning and drove straight through Monterrey on the truck route. No issues.

We arrived at the Colombia bridge at 12:05 p.m. and made it to the border agent booth at 3:20. After that, it was time to get the visa permit for one. That took another two hours and twenty minutes.
Too much hassle with lines, inspections, and harassment. We'll stick to Mexico.

Just a heads up to anyone else who is coming across in the next few weeks.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog
14 REPLIES 14

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Same thing happened to us in March at the same place - we had to dig out the registration and then show the officer where the VIN was hidden on our motorcycle. Once satisfied we were on our way.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
We came back to Mexico last Thursday and a lot has changed at the Laredo Bridge II (coming off I-35).

As we crossed I chose the Nada A Declarar lane and an agent began waving his flashlight at us. I stopped and he came out and said I needed to go to the right first.

Did that, and it is the new Aduana patio which was finished a year ago according to them. They checked the serial number on the trailer and then we went through the far right lane that has no stoplight and you drive right through without inspection as it has already been done.

Not sure what happens with foreign vehicles, ours is Mexican plated. The whole bridge crossing was five minutes and off we went for the Donoldo Colossio Avenue and then on to Hwy 85 to Monterrey and drove straight through the city using the new designated truck route.

Nice changes at both the bridge and through Monterrey to Santiago.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

Talleyho69
Here is a link to the page 2 article about the situation at the border crossing from today's Los Angeles Times.

https://enewspaper.latimes.com/desktop/latimes/default.aspx?pubid=50435180-e58e-48b5-8e0c-236bf740270e

Talleyho69
Wow! We did our shopping yesterday and don't plan to do anything other than going to the beach until at least next Wednesday the 24th.

The beach here today wasn't too bad. It wasn't any more crowded than it was on Sunday, but for here it was quite breezy. The crowds are still down, at least so far, and not like Christmas has been in the past. Very few international tourists.

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
Our little town of Puerto Penasco expects at least 100,000 visitors over the weekend. We just traveled from Mexicali to Penasco by bus and the traffic heading our way was incredible. We already stocked our house with what we need so we won't go out to town again until Monday the 22nd.

We walked into Mexicali from Calexico. We walked right in to Mexico but the line of walkers going North had to wait at least 2-3 hours in line as it stretched way into Mexico.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Here on Tulum it is crowded. Traffic is up, the bus station is full, restaurants are very busy, The hotels are already over 90% full. The Sargasso is thick. Semana Santa will be a big boost to the economy.

Talleyho69
Here in Zihuatanejo, the crowds have yet to start, but tomorrow, in theory they will explode!
Yes, we get those questions about living here and being "safe." Our international tourists fly in.
Sure hope that the nationals will come and help support the tourist economy.
Hopefully your return home won't be too arduous.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Colombia had only one lane open. Long waits are something new in the last two weeks because of changes we can't talk about here.

As SideCarFlip said, it is only going to get worse. Yes, Semana Santa does play a role in this.

Beaches from Matamoros to Tampico are packed this week as people are avoiding the crossing.

I get tired of the endless questions about how I was born in the U.S., why I would want to live in Mexico, about being afraid, etc.

So sad that Hispanics along the U.S./Mexico border don't even know their own roots and they are only miles away.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Many border crossing are slow due to understaffing. Trump has moved staff to areas where the migrants are crossing.
Moisheh

MnMex90
Explorer
Explorer
Just talked to friends who crossed at Piedras Negras a couple of days ago. No problems and no delays.
We crossed at the Colombia Bridge several years ago during Semana Santa. The line was almost a mile long with families heading north. Patience this week is needed for sure.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
It may have something to do with the approaching holiday weekend?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
We just came up March 25, 10:00am Bridge #2 and waited not more than 15 minutes and we were on our way.
Turning in the VIP took not more than 10 minutes - this was the easiest crossing during daylight hours for us...ever.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Going to get worse, lots worse.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Talleyho69
So sad.....