cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for RV panel install, long run

Stoic_J
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings, everyone! I tried a forum search but could not find what I wanted. I recently purchased my 1st trailer and joined this group.

I'd like to set up RV hookup on my sister's property in the country. She has 200-amp service to her home there, and I would like to run 50 amps from that. Thing is the run is 240'. Any thoughts or ideas? Water and septic are already at the RV spot. We travel a little bit and would be at the site for long stretches. The water and septic are proper, and extended RV parking is fine in this area.

I'd like to have the wire buried, probably UF, but in conduit might be okay. My trailer is 30-amp. Would like to be able to run another 20-30 amps to a second RV or a very small manufactured home at the site. Just wanting ideas from folks who have experience with this sort of thing. Things to look for.

JASON
35 REPLIES 35

Stoic_J
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Was 119 the voltage under load?

No, I thought about it shortly after and decided to run the A/C, fridge, and a bunch of lights.... and it dropped to 115.5v, so 3.75% under 120v. Below 114 (5% drop) I'd start being concerned. We'll just have to keep an eye on usage. I don't mind as photovoltaic was initially on the table and that would have been a much bigger lifestyle change.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Was 119 the voltage under load?

Stoic_J wrote:
OK, it's all run. I am reading 119v at the RV outlet.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Stoic_J
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Your post is confusing as it infers 50 amp RV service is just 50 amps when in fact it's 50 amps across each of 2 legs, for a total potential draw of 100 amps. You really have a need to draw that much from your sister's 200 amp service? :h

I have a 30-amp trailer, and I NEED enough for that. I would like to have an additional 30-amp trailer that STAYS on the property.

The panel I got has a 50 RV outlet, a 30 RV outlet, and a standard receptacle on a 20-amp breaker. I would just leave the 20-amp off, and run 30-amps max on each of the two trailers. If running two A/C's at once was a problem I would just have to alternate.

Stoic_J
Explorer
Explorer
OK, it's all run. I am reading 119v at the RV outlet. Haven't measured resistance or amps yet. Put two grounding rods in the ground, just need to go to the hardware store tomorrow to get a clamp for one of them.

Have power and water at the site now! :B

After all is cleaned up I'll take pics and leave a diagram of what I did for future reference. Next is septic.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Stoic_J wrote:
My trailer is 30-amp. Would like to be able to run another 20-30 amps to a second RV or a very small manufactured home at the site. Just wanting ideas from folks who have experience with this sort of thing. Things to look for.

Your post is confusing as it infers 50 amp RV service is just 50 amps when in fact it's 50 amps across each of 2 legs, for a total potential draw of 100 amps. You really have a need to draw that much from your sister's 200 amp service? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
azrving wrote:
If you don't need a permit wire as you like. If you are supposed to get a permit wire it as required in case you get popped. At least that's how I cheat. I cheat but I don't leave myself open to double the cost. Risk reward I suppose

Very Bad advice, save a couple $$ burn something down! Two things I don't cheat on Electric and Gas, all done to code!

pianotuna wrote:
#4 copper wire in conduit. Use four wires.

Very Good advice!

To the OP, you state you are coming directly off the power pole, is this before or after the meter??

If before the meter you will also require a meter base (This would also be best as you would get a separate bill).

If post meter, and you are truly hooking up to her 200 amp panel, you should be sure that she can share that much amperage, and how are you planning to share the bill?

Learn to read, I told him to wire by code as I do even if not getting a permit. If he doesn't want to wire it to code as many do then that's for him to expierence

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
You need to be less than 3% voltage drop. For your distance you need either #1 copper or 2/0 Aluminum to stay under 3% voltage drop.

That's based of 240', 120 volts, 50 amps, single phase, single conductor per leg.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Stoic_J
Explorer
Explorer
The smaller wires look like #8 or #6, and go a couple of feet to a small breakered panel that feeds a well pump.

WIRE SIZE: I don't know the sizes of the bigger wires. My thought was to use double mechanical lugs, one side for the bigger wire, the other side for the RV wire and the well pump wire. COULD have combined the well pump and RV into one larger panel, but..... this seemed better.

FUSE SIZE: Don't know the fuse sizes, can't read the labels without pulling them. A good bit thicker than the 100-amps I saw at the hardware store.

#10 GREEN WIRE: There is a #10 green in the conduit from the main disconnect to the RV panel, not sure what if anything to do with it.

I have an 8' ground rod hammered in close to the RV panel, and the clamps for it. Actually, I bought a 2nd rod, in case it made sense to pound that in a few feet away.

There is a ground bus in the RV panel, behind the receptacles. The #10 green wire is rolled up in there.

Meter base neutral and ground are not isolated.

Where would the #10 green go in the disconnect? Then it just goes in and out of the meter base, into the RV panel, and secured to the ground bus.
Or is it okay to not use the #10 green, and ground using bare copper to 2 ground rods?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dup

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The photos are a bit on the small side to see exactly what's going on. A wiring diagram would also help. This is kinda what I'm thinking:

In the main fused disconnect, there are smaller wires running off the load side of the lugs. Not legal and not sure what they're for. If the main switch feeds two loads, there should be some kind of panel after it with a breaker for each downstream load. What size are the main fuses and what are the wire sizes connected to the load side lugs?

It looks like there is a reduced neutral in the main disconnect switch. This works and is permitted in houses where there is generally a somewhat balanced total load and the neutral sees less current than the hot wires. Not sure if that affects anything or if you need to try and better balance loads, but just putting it out there anyway.

Main service grounding should happen only in the main disconnect with ground rods (or code alternative). There would normally only be one size (not sure what the code size would be) main ground wire but sometimes there can be a small gauge ground wire for the telephone or CATV service. In the remote RV panel, grounding should definitely happen there if there is no ground wire in the overhead run back to the main disconnect. The neutral and ground should NOT be interconnected in the RV panel, but the enclosure must be grounded and connected to the ground bus inside the enclosure and to the ground connections on the receptacles. There should be a ground bus somewhere inside the RV panel. I *think* the NEC now allows grounding at remote RV panels/pedestals but does not require it - if there is a ground all the way back to the main service.

The meter base looks correctly wired as long as the neutral is isolated from the ground connection there. The ground bus needs to be connected to the enclosure which it looks like it is.

The RV panel is just like any "ordinary" house panel except that it has receptacles in it. There needs to one or more ground rods as per code which also depends on soil conditions.

The work looks great. Just add a faucet and sewer connection and you've got your own personal one-site RV park... 🙂

Stoic_J
Explorer
Explorer
Below the main meter there is a fused disconnect. Two hots going through cartridge fuses, and one neutral going through just lugs, before going down and out to the main house.

https://pix.sfly.com/iUwJtx

A bare copper wire goes from the neutral plate (?), out the box, and then splits at a connector, with one line going down the utility pole to the ground (terminating on a grounding rod) and the other line going up the pole to this:

https://pix.sfly.com/iEHgM6

I am going to have the neutral and hots connected to NEW mechanical lugs, then out a hole drilled into the bottom of the disconnect box. They go about 230' to this meter socket:

https://pix.sfly.com/1yggwJ

From the meter socket they go a couple of feet to this panel:

https://pix.sfly.com/XY12Af

So, what would you do with the green wire that is at the disconnect, and why? Right now it goes through the ground bar in the socket and into the RV panel, but is not connected in that panel.

Stoic_J
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, so I've run 4 copper wires underground in conduit, about 240'. 3 x 4#, and 1 x 10# green.

What type of panel would you install? I would like two 30-amp RV plugs. And I will need some kind of meter.

Here's the panel below the meter.
https://pix.sfly.com/wdzjxT

There's also a 125-amp 4-space breaker panel right behind it on the same pole. That panel services the well house, which has a well pump and a light/20-amp GFCI. I could upgrade that panel, just need to tie the well pump and GFCI into it.

Stoic_J
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
To the OP, you state you are coming directly off the power pole, is this before or after the meter??

If post meter, and you are truly hooking up to her 200 amp panel, you should be sure that she can share that much amperage, and how are you planning to share the bill?
I will be after the meter. Putting in a submeter (not the power company's), but have not decided on a model yet. I'll post the final set-up when it's all done. I'd love to go 100 amps, but they use a lot of power at times. We can do 30 all the time, but to go above that we might have to switch on a generator now and then.

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I recently upgraded the service to my garage. For the price of 100 feet of #6 copper you can run 400 feet of 2-2-2-2 MHF aluminum direct bury and make it a 90A service if you want to. Aluminum is a far better choice for subpanel wiring as long as you follow best practices on anti-ox and lug torque.