cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Cellphone question

canadafan
Explorer
Explorer
I will be visiting Canada (AB and BC) from England in May and starting a motorhome rental in Calgary for 35 days.

I don't have a quad band phone that works in Canada and don't really want to buy an expensive one just for this trip.

What is the best solution? Can I rent one in Calgary? Or do I have to buy a cheap one and a no contract SIM card (as far as I can see I would probably need two, since these seem to be good for only 30 days)? I don't need data but it would be useful.

Any ideas?

Trevor
4 REPLIES 4

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Move to a GSM phone and sign up for a Canada plan from your existing provider.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
canadafan wrote:

I don't have a quad band phone that works in Canada and don't really want to buy an expensive one just for this trip.

Trevor

You probably have done a detailed check, but I'm surprised your phone doesn't work in Canada, we are on the "world standard" (GSM) in terms of phone types, not the CDMA standard used by some companies in the US.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Cricket works in CA (with some limitations, majority use has to be stateside), but it's not SOLD in CA unfortunately. It's an arm of AT&T.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a throwaway at Walmart when you get to Canada. I have a Crickeet Samsung S7 and it is good in Canada.