cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Myrtle Beach Campground recommendations.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Will be in Charleston SC for a week starting 29 April. DW now wants to go to Myrtle Beach when we leave there. Want a good smaller campground on the Garden City end of town. We are not golfers! Thanks for any help
15 REPLIES 15

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Roger in VERMONT wrote:
We have stayed at Oceans Lakes for many years and have never been disappointed.

I hate that place and wouldn't recommend it for older folks unless they want to be surrounded by loud kids until well after midnight. I was told by office staff when i asked nicely that 'we don't enforce any quiet hours'....even tho they are in place.
They also allow folks to shoot fireworks on the beach well into the night (against county law) if you like to do or listen to that kind of thing.

Now if I was a rowdy kid again looking for some fun, I'd book Ocean Lakes in a heartbeat.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
There are two KOAs in Charleston, Mount Pleasant is very good the other very not so good. Huntington beach state park is very good.

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at Oceans Lakes for many years and have never been disappointed.
๐Ÿ™‚ 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

mlburst
Explorer
Explorer
Cypress Camping Resort is on the south end of Myrtle Beach but located on the Intracoastal Waterway - great owners and close to everything.
Mike & Joanna
Myrtle Beach SC/Port Charlotte FL
"Any-timers" since Dec 2010
2010 Heartland Sundance 2900MK
2012 Ford F250 Lariat King Ranch CC 6.7L Diesel
Heartland Owners Club #1452
Escapees #99187

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Agree on Huntington State Park. They have some full hookups,the rest W&E. They have a great nature program with walks or talks in the nature lodge. You're close to Murrel's Inlet for some good food. You can also take a tour of the Huntington's old home which is in the campground area.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always try for Huntington Beach. We love being setup in the heavy tree area and just a short walking distance from the beach. We also have family in Myrtle Beach and can most often rent a cabin at LAKEWOOD CAMPING RESORT...

Doesn't sound like this is what you are looking for... During the summer months this all very heavy with lots of people everywhere...

If the beach atmosphere is not what you looking for then maybe you guys would fit better in the high country... Lots of great camp grounds up that way...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
2 Retired wrote:
Sorry, didn't read your whole post. Best CG south of MB is Huntington Beach State Park. Some sewered sites, some tighter than others. Very popular, especially on weekends. Most sites level. Ocean not visible but easily accessible. If you stay there, visit Atalaya (historical home in the park) and Brookgreen Gardens, with boat and walking tours and great artist retreat with sculpture and artwork everywhere.
Litchfield Diner (just south of the CG) has great breakfasts, as does Applewoods. CG is near all kinds of shopping, but out of the way of the craziness of MB.

A big Plus for this post. Yes itโ€™s not North Myrtle but IMO much nicer. Close to great seafood in Murrels inlet. Check out Russels for a small capacity, great food place. If you canโ€™t get a spot there, try MB State Park. Youโ€™ll be closer to MB and all the shopping you could ever want.

I hope the KOA you booked was the one in Mount Pleasant. A+.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

eieioh
Explorer
Explorer
Now, to be a wet blanket. I doubt if you will get into a campground on this short of notice. Most are filled many months ago. I hope I am wrong on this.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, didn't read your whole post. Best CG south of MB is Huntington Beach State Park. Some sewered sites, some tighter than others. Very popular, especially on weekends. Most sites level. Ocean not visible but easily accessible. If you stay there, visit Atalaya (historical home in the park) and Brookgreen Gardens, with boat and walking tours and great artist retreat with sculpture and artwork everywhere.
Litchfield Diner (just south of the CG) has great breakfasts, as does Applewoods. CG is near all kinds of shopping, but out of the way of the craziness of MB.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
If being really close to MB is not a priority, and quiet, friendly relaxing atmosphere is, check out Carrollwoods Campground, part of 3 Sisters Winery in Tabor City, NC. North of MB but close enough to visit it. Family owned and operated, with level sites, nice pool, and, last time we visited (year and a half ago) Passport America and Good Sam. We love this place!
Willow Tree RV Resort is also north of MB. More expensive, more bells and whistles. Great bathhouses, large sites (some with hot tubs) and nice lake. Quiet and relaxing as well.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
We are OLD. Don't need the beach and to lazy to golf + I just had a knee replaced 2 months ago. I think she has us booked into a KOA at Charleston but she mentioned the Northern part of Myrtle. Thanks so far.

The KOA I mentioned is in North Myrtle.

MB KOA
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many CG in Myrtle Beach that our good, but you are packed like sardines. We vacationed there many years ago, and hated it. Check out Emerald Isle, NC. We stopped there on the way down to Myrtle, and are now retired in the area. We love it.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are OLD. Don't need the beach and to lazy to golf + I just had a knee replaced 2 months ago. I think she has us booked into a KOA at Charleston but she mentioned the Northern part of Myrtle. Thanks so far.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
The KOA in Myrtle beach is nice. The staff is very friendly and helpful but what I liked most about it, is that it feels like a campground in mountains. Nice sites, lots of trees, a lake etc. You would have no idea you are right in the mix of things. It's not on the beach so make note of that - I think it's a block or 2 away from the ocean. Personally I find the CG's on the beach nothing more than crammed parking lots with hookups. To each his own.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS