cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need new cell phones

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, anyone using Visible as a cell phone carrier? They are a MVNO, a carrier that uses Verizon network. They have one plan unlimited! $40 all in a month no contract! They only support iPhones and Samsung S9 or 9+. Should I switch?

I currently have Blackberry phones and T-Mobile, can't add apps to the phone and signal is spotty. I pay $70 /month all in for 3 lines unlimited.

Verizon quoted $120/month for two phones!
14 REPLIES 14

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Tracfone sent out a survey a few months ago about several different unlimited plans. Expect them to hop on the bandwagon.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Got an email from Visible yesterday stating:

Good news: your data is no longer capped at 5 Mbps. That means unlimited data, now with more speed. It's free to new users for a limited time, but since you're an early access member, you'll be grandfathered in. Meaning you'll enjoy uncapped speeds for no additional fee - for as long as youโ€™re with Visible. It's our way of saying thanks! All you have to do is turn your phone off and then back on to get started. (Mobile hotspot will still be capped at 5 Mbps.)

I downloaded a 800MB file using the hotspot and the speed was about 17Mbps. Hopefully the uncapped speed will continue.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
The visible unlimited plan is limited to 5gb a month.
The data is unlimited. The data speed is limited to 5Mb per second.

After my initial bad experience with customer support, the service is working well.

I just learned that the Visible SIM works in my Verizon 6620L Mifi JetPack. It was quite simple. Replace the Mifi SIM with the Visible SIM. Once powered up connect to the Mifi. Now start your browser and enter 192.168.1.1 in the address box. This will display the settings page for the Mifi. You will need to change the APN to "VSBLINTERNET". For my Mifi this is located on the "Mobile Settings" page.

This may work for other mobile broadband devices. I'm assuming that the Visible SIM needs to be activated in a compatible phone first.

So if you are looking at Visible just for the data, this may be a good choice. For me, it's my only phone service so I will continue using the phone and not use the JetPack.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
The visible unlimited plan is limited to 5gb a month. I really scratch my head how these companies are legally allowed to advertise unlimited data when it isn't.

That said, if the parameters outlined in the contract work for you and you can get coverage where you need it, why not?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of people can't believe that I spend $20 a month for 2 androids.
It is prepaid from Tracfone, so good for people who use the phones for fast communication, not for spending "quality time" on them.
Since I have them for years, I accumulated several thousands of minutes and couple of Gb for data, that I use for emergency directions, or email check.
They did offer free phones for years, but last time I wanted android, so spend hefty $29 for Samsung with them.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The same thing is true of windows. I first used that feature in 1993.

I favor Samsung and have received top notch support. But then, I only need it once every 3 years.

MarkTwain wrote:
Tech support is outstanding for Apple iPhones & Lap tops. I have 7/24 support via phone or chat room. I especially like the "screen share" feature where I can permit tech support to temporarly take control of my computer in order to resolve any issues. This feature is much more efficient and less frustrating for me.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
macjom wrote:
I personally like iPhones due to their simplicity and solid hardware.

Tech support is outstanding for Apple iPhones & Lap tops. I have 7/24 support via phone or chat room. I especially like the "screen share" feature where I can permit tech support to temporarly take control of my computer in order to resolve any issues. This feature is much more efficient and less frustrating for me.

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
I personally like iPhones due to their simplicity and solid hardware.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
I am on my second unlocked android phone that will work on most if not all carriers, currently using a Google Pixel 3 on Verizon network. Will never go back to a carrier provided phone that locks me into a contract and carrier apps that cannot be uninstalled.

Amen to that!

Folks, if you haven't done so already, dig into your phone app permissions and see what you are allowing those apps to do. Scary.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I just switched to Visible. $40/month for unlimited everything. Their data is limited to 5 Mb/s and you can only connect one device at a time to the hotspot. You can only have one cell on an account. If you want two phones you will need two accounts, each costing $40. If you can live with these limitations, it's a great bargain.

Porting my number was a simple process, BUT you better hope you never have a problem because their customer support is a joke. The only means of contacting them is by chat session or text message. You can not call them.

You need a WiFi connection to get started. I activated my phone on Tuesday and all seemed to go well until I discovered I had talk and text but no internet. I was using my old phone for my internet connection and since that phone now has no service, I no longer have internet and there is no information on how to text message them. I head for my library to get a WiFi connection and start a chat session. After about an hour of trying various things with no resolution, it is deemed that I have a serious problem and my case will be "expedited" and someone will contact me in 3 to 5 days. Yes that's days not hours. It is now Saturday morning and I have been to the library three times to check status of my ticket. Each time I get the same run-around stating they are working on my problem. During my last chat session Thursday I asked if a factory reset might be an option. After several chat sessions and text messages no one had suggested a factory reset. I did a reset and all is good. I haven't told them that I fixed the problem. It is now Saturday morning and have not heard from them yet.

So, if you intend to keep your existing phone number, DO NOT port it over to start with. Once everything is working then port your number.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on your type of phone usage and how much you travel and how much coverage you expect...unless it's just about the all in money.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I am on my second unlocked android phone that will work on most if not all carriers, currently using a Google Pixel 3 on Verizon network. Will never go back to a carrier provided phone that locks me into a contract and carrier apps that cannot be uninstalled.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I am partial to android phones.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
Hi, anyone using Visible as a cell phone carrier? They are a MVNO, a carrier that uses Verizon network. They have one plan unlimited! $40 all in a month no contract! They only support iPhones and Samsung S9 or 9+. Should I switch?

I currently have Blackberry phones and T-Mobile, can't add apps to the phone and signal is spotty. I pay $70 /month all in for 3 lines unlimited.

Verizon quoted $120/month for two phones!

I am partial to iPhone. Also check for phones that have been traded in for people who want to up grade their old phone. But more importantly, what carrier gives the best coverage in the areas you most frequently traveling in or located.