cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Military Campgrounds

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
If you are active duty or retired military, you may already use the website to find information about military campgrounds but you may not receive the newsletter. If you register on the website, you will receive the newsletter. The following is an excerpt from the latest newsletter.

If you have any information to share, please contact Larry directly at his email below.
Help us share the information. Send all news and articles to larryf@militarycampgrounds.us
โ€ข Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs, CO - Over 15 months ago, Peterson AFB reported they were going to build a new FamCamp. There's been no mention of it since. I'm currently trying to find out the latest status, but could use your help. Do you know anything about this new proposed FamCamp?
โ€ข Luke AFB, Glendale, AZ - Another USAF base that announced they were building a new FamCamp. The latest known status on this project is that it's on hold. The location has been determined and the land is clear, but I've received reports they list their funding and the FamCamp hasn't yet been designed. Any other updated news?
โ€ข San Onofre Recreation Beach, Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base, CA - There is a good bit of on-going renovation and construction here. They are replacing some of the "cottages" and working on some of the beach-front sites, removing old trees, etc.
โ€ข Joint Base Andrews FamCamp, MD - They are (were) closed for construction to upgrade the sites until further notice. Their recommendation was to call back, starting in April, every two weeks or so until they get everything up and going.
โ€ข Foster Creek RV Park and Villas, Joint Base Charleston, SC - Last month, I reported this campground was closing for a year for a remodeling project. However, they lost their funding and the remodeling project has been delayed. They are NOT closed as previously reported.
โ€ข Offutt AFB Bass Lake FamCamp, Offutt, NE - Due to severe flooding, this campground and the boathouse is closed until further notice.
โ€ข Little Creek MWR RV Park, Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story, Norfolk, VA - I received a report that "this location is to be refitted completely". I currently don't have any other information on what's to be done, dates, etc.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
10 REPLIES 10

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
Retired Marine here. I've used the Military campgrounds many times. Never had a bad experience and they have always been very reasonable on price!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too only had a few years from Air Force Miltary service but then went on and retired from Civil Service giving me a total of 42 years of Militray service. When I retired I was issued a Military CAC card that allows me to use the FAMILY CAMP GROUNDS. I have used several of them on my RV trips... I was a E5 in the Air Force and a GS12 STEP 30 in the Civil Service hehe...

This also gave several other benifits associated with retired military service. I however always felt I was abusing my rights and would be the first one to give up my room or camp site if I knew it was going to bump an active Militray Service person...

When staying in BOQ areas I always informed the front desk to bump me if any military people showed up needing room space...

I probably was bumped three or four times over several years of doing this - always at a BOQ facility...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
Here is Washington and Oregon, we have some awesome military camps. Jim Creek is nestled in the foothills of the Cascades north of Seattle. It is beautifu, fun for kids, awesome shower/baths and of course mostly drippy weather. Unfortunately, even though Jim Creek was a communication base, cell service is horrid.
And if you like the ocean, Pacific Beach is another goody run by the Navy. Not only are there cabins and a motel and the RV park, there is a great little restaurant. The only problem with it is on a cliff and a steep walk down to the water. Fort Lewis, McChord, and Camp Murray all have RV parks but usually full so call first for reservations. Fairchild in Eastern Washington has a famcamp but I've never been there. Oh and I forgot Whidbey Island has RV parking also and while I've been to the base, I never stayed at the famcamp.
Not to be outdone, Oregon also has a nice little National Guard training base that offers RV parking. Its not much, tiny tiny but a great place to explore the Astoria area and its also right on the ocean. Camp Rilea is on 101.

FYI, NAS Whidbey did a complete restoration of the camp ground 2 years ago, now there is 100 full hook ups right on the bluff, they also have yurts to rent. full bath and laundry facilities and a full time attendant to manage the park.

Clifside park
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Here is Washington and Oregon, we have some awesome military camps. Jim Creek is nestled in the foothills of the Cascades north of Seattle. It is beautifu, fun for kids, awesome shower/baths and of course mostly drippy weather. Unfortunately, even though Jim Creek was a communication base, cell service is horrid.
And if you like the ocean, Pacific Beach is another goody run by the Navy. Not only are there cabins and a motel and the RV park, there is a great little restaurant. The only problem with it is on a cliff and a steep walk down to the water. Fort Lewis, McChord, and Camp Murray all have RV parks but usually full so call first for reservations. Fairchild in Eastern Washington has a famcamp but I've never been there. Oh and I forgot Whidbey Island has RV parking also and while I've been to the base, I never stayed at the famcamp.
Not to be outdone, Oregon also has a nice little National Guard training base that offers RV parking. Its not much, tiny tiny but a great place to explore the Astoria area and its also right on the ocean. Camp Rilea is on 101.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Additional info on funding source. Famcamps like clubs, bowling alleys golf courses etc are referred to as non-appropriated fund facilities. Non appropriated means not appropriated by the government from taxes. These facilities must generate enough funds to pay there own way or cease operations.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't mean to create a fire storm. For the record I wore 4 stripes in the USAF but didn't make it a career making me ineligible for these parks.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just to follow up, the money from CG and RV storage rentals goes INTO the MWR fund as well. So, like many of the military auxiliary services today, pays the bulk of its own way.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

dedmiston
I deleted some of the posts that were taking this thread off-topic.

The question of funding has been asked and answered.

2chiefsRus: Thank you for your service and thanks for posting this helpful into.

EDIT: And as a time-saver, let me add a general "Thank You" to all the other service men and women who post in this thread in lieu of thanking you one by one.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Nice to see they're building and upgrading FAMCAMPS. Whose pockets are these building funds coming out of? I sure hope the money comes 100% from the users of the camps and not from taxpayers.

The money comes from the MWR budget (Moral, Welfare, And Recreation) it is the same money that buys basket balls, base balls, maintains the tennis courts, marinas, and other facilities for the military.
And Yes I use them. USN Chief Retired.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to see they're building and upgrading FAMCAMPS. Whose pockets are these building funds coming out of? I sure hope the money comes 100% from the users of the camps and not from taxpayers.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE