cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Operation of the Magnum Inverter charger.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Watching this Video I have questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNmKolaiBh4

magnum inver video.

We are hooked up to a 50 amp breaker off the master house braker box.

question how much of that 50 AMPS should the M/H be taking?
What setting in the video should I set? full 50 AMPS?
Then how much of that power should be going to the batteries.

batteries are 4, T125 Trogan 6 volt flooded deep cycle, 2 in series with 2 in series, connected in parallel to deliver 12 volts to the house / inverter.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
18 REPLIES 18

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
2oldman,On the Magnum remote one can limit the incoming amperage. If it is set low enough then output amperage nominally 12 volts will be lowered.
That's how my Prosine worked. What I was questioning was the 'charge rate.' So far that sounds like a redundant parameter given that the incoming AC can be regulated.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
GordonThree wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
The charge rate feature is NOT new. It has been on Heart/Xantrex and Magnum for over 15 or more years. As explained, ALL it does is allow the Inverter/CHARGER to only pull minimum 120 amps when on less than 50 amp service. IF on 50 amp service there is no reason to change the charge rate. 50 amp service is 100 amp service, not 50 amps total. You determine what your Shore input amp supply is and then set the Charger of the Inverter/Charger to match that incoming amp supply. It then scales back the amount of charge to the Coach Batteries. The higher the charge rate, the MORE amps it will use. Doug

I have the ME-ARC remote like that video, and my Charger menu does not have a "Charge Rate %" setting. I do have the AC-amps setting.

The AC-Amps setting is HOW your system sets the charger rate %. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Tom/Barb wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
50 amp service is 100 amp service, not 50 amps total.

we are not a direct total service connection.

we are a 200 AMP service to the house, and the RV 50 amp service is taken thru a 50 AMP C/B off the service distribution buss.

our RV service is limited to 50 AMPs.

That's OK. The HIGHER amp draw for the charger is ONLY for when it is on BULK charge. If you leave it plugged in, once it goes OFF BULK charge(usually after 1 to 3 hours), the amp draw for the charger section is negliable. Once in float, it pulls less than 1 to 3 amps depending on the 12 volt load in the RV. Doug

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tom/Barb wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

we are a 200 AMP service to the house, and the RV 50 amp service is taken thru a 50 AMP C/B off the service distribution buss.

50A RV service is 120/240V 50A 3 pole 4 wire. The CB is is dual CB that trips when either hot leg exceeds 50A. Most RVs don't have 240V appliances so it's common for RVers to just consider that they have 2x 50A circuits.

This circuit is what allows RVs to have 3 A/Cs running along with HW, MW, charger, TVs etc.

With a Magnum charging at 125A DC it's AC input would be draw about 16A. That leaves 34A AC on that leg and 50A AC on the second leg.

The 50A label refers to the highest voltage (ie 240V) or 50*240=12,000W (watts). Your 200A house panel is similar 200*240=48,000W.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman,

On the Magnum remote one can limit the incoming amperage. If it is set low enough then output amperage nominally 12 volts will be lowered.

It is even possible to force the hybrid Magnum into doing voltage support if the input amperage is set low enough.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
Called Magnum tech support, We went thru all the settings, I had them right, 13.2 v is the proper setting for flooded batteries so I asked why the batteries run down so quickly. and as I Thought the batteries are showing their age, he asked If I had ever ran an equlizer charge, and I had not, So we are doing one now.

Thanks for the help..

Equalizer can be hard on batteries. Good that you checked the water already. If they're in a tight space, might want to open the door and use a fan to clear out the gasses.

every thing has been taken care of.
the battery tray is out in the open, and the vent caps are off.
still charging at 14.8 for the last 4 hours..

Getting there.
We will see what happens on our next trip.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Called Magnum tech support, We went thru all the settings, I had them right, 13.2 v is the proper setting for flooded batteries so I asked why the batteries run down so quickly. and as I Thought the batteries are showing their age, he asked If I had ever ran an equlizer charge, and I had not, So we are doing one now.

Thanks for the help..

Equalizer can be hard on batteries. Good that you checked the water already. If they're in a tight space, might want to open the door and use a fan to clear out the gasses.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks for the help..

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
I have the ME-ARC remote like that video, and my Charger menu does not have a "Charge Rate %" setting. I do have the AC-amps setting.

that is the new type, we have the ME RC50
You have the ME-ARC they look similar but program differently.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
I did a hydrometer check this morning and all batteries checked in the red. (at 13.2 float charge).
there seems to be no way to increase that float charge.

will be calling Magnum Tech. support today.

Consult the instruction manual, you set the float charge voltage under battery profile.

In the Charger menu, 03C Battery Type, page 26

03C Battery Type โ€“ This setting selects the battery type, which determines the battery charge profi le and ensures the batteries are receiving the proper charge voltage. The charge voltage settings are fixed when using the GEL, Flooded, AGM1, or AGM2 selections, but can be adjusted if using the CC/CV or Custom selections.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
The charge rate feature is NOT new. It has been on Heart/Xantrex and Magnum for over 15 or more years. As explained, ALL it does is allow the Inverter/CHARGER to only pull minimum 120 amps when on less than 50 amp service. IF on 50 amp service there is no reason to change the charge rate. 50 amp service is 100 amp service, not 50 amps total. You determine what your Shore input amp supply is and then set the Charger of the Inverter/Charger to match that incoming amp supply. It then scales back the amount of charge to the Coach Batteries. The higher the charge rate, the MORE amps it will use. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I did a hydrometer check this morning and all batteries checked in the red. (at 13.2 float charge).
there seems to be no way to increase that float charge.

will be calling Magnum Tech. support today.