Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AA battery life

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a bit of a rant. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I have an SLR camera that I use a lot, mostly for documenting restoration of 2 cars I've been working on for a while. I use ordinary AA batteries and not rechargeable ones and normally get a month or two out of them, and I use the flash often.

Put new "super heavy duty" ones in the other day. Lasted about a week for just a few pics. What the heck. I tested the old batteries with a voltmeter first before tossing them to see if one or all needed replacing and also checked the new ones which showed they were good.

Then I looked at the package. A little hard to read maybe, but it says "ideal for low drain devices". Huh?

I know there's no need to pay for overpriced Duracell or Energizer as they're pretty much all built the same way. But a week out of something labeled "super heavy duty" ain't very good.

58 REPLIES 58

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
shum02 wrote:
OkieGene wrote:
If you are near a Costco go buy their jumbo pack of Kirkland batteries.

Made by Duracell.

The go to batteries for high drain devices are Duracell and Energizer, you get what you pay for.

I have had multiple failures from the Kirkland AA and AAA batteries. As in easily 10+ devices leaked in by Kirklands. I still buy at Costco but only the Duracells and I've never had a leaker since.

One tip to recover from a leaked battery. Take the battery out of the device. Use a cotton swab and some white vinegar and the corrosion will melt away. The key is to use the swab to control and contain the excess vinegar so it does not run down into the device and ruin something.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Kamphiker
Explorer
Explorer
I've been researching AA, AAA batteries alternatives to what I have Been using for years as for some reason the last few years I have started having issues with Leaking.

I always bought Duracell brand (Alkaline) Usually from Sam's club when they have deals on them. Not happy with issues of recent so the search is ongoing.

I came across this test article and it seems to have unbiased test.

https://www.cinemasound.com/showdown-aa-battery-value-the-results-will-shock-you/

What do you think ?

Anyone have experience with "Allmax" brand ?
2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
myredracer wrote:
I just have to laugh at the "super heavy duty" labeling and then "ideal for low drain devices" in small print in the corner both on the front of the package. :R
That is creative.

X20 funny funny
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
Last year the remote temperature transmitter quit working on my Lacrosse digital clock/temp. I tried replacing the batteries to no avail. I recently bought a replacement transmitter, and it wouldn't work either. I decided the clock receiver probably failed. Then this thread came along. As it happens the "new" batteries I tried were 3 year old Duracells. They work perfectly in almost every other device, but not on those transmitters. After installing genuinely new batteries, I can now tell the temp outside the RV again.

They do degrade over time.

I've pulled 5 YO Duracell's out of never used packaging and used them in flashlights no problem. These where bigger "C" cell batteries. As usual YMMV.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Last year the remote temperature transmitter quit working on my Lacrosse digital clock/temp. I tried replacing the batteries to no avail. I recently bought a replacement transmitter, and it wouldn't work either. I decided the clock receiver probably failed. Then this thread came along. As it happens the "new" batteries I tried were 3 year old Duracells. They work perfectly in almost every other device, but not on those transmitters. After installing genuinely new batteries, I can now tell the temp outside the RV again.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I will no longer use Duracellโ€™s I have had so many things ruined by leakage.
I've talked to others with same problem.

Used to be I would go out of my way to buy Duracellโ€™s.AA's and AAA's now I buy Energizer Alkaline.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
To me the cost of the battery vs how long it lasts is the determining factor on which batteries to use. So a package of zinc chloride batteries that cost $5 and last 6 mos is the same as a package of alkalide batteries that costs $10 and lasts 1 year. So to me the HF batteries you get for free with a coupon are the best deal, a package of 24 batteries lasts a long time.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
It depends where you live.

Where I live, overall it is much drier than say Orlando. So batteries do not corrode nearly so fast.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:
Duracellโ€™s are junk! Canโ€™t remember the last time I didnโ€™t pull one out and it hadnโ€™t leaked.

I've had Duracell batteries in appliances for years with no leak issue's. Flashlights and other units sit in the camper for ages without use in all kinds of weather with no issues. Maybe I'm lucky but I doubt it.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
shastagary wrote:
those sunbeam batteries are carbon-zink not alkiline

^^This^^ Alkaline are what you want.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Duracellโ€™s are junk! Canโ€™t remember the last time I didnโ€™t pull one out and it hadnโ€™t leaked.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the best review I found on batteries for use in DSLR. I have a Nikon Coolpix P510, a point and shoot that was manufactured to look like a DSLR. Fortunately it has a dedicated Lithium battery so I don't have any real experience with DSLR batteries.

Here is the article I found, article
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
most of my AA AAA rechargeable cells are NiMh

In addition to leaking Kirklands I've had lots of leaking Duracells lately.

I have never had a leaky rechargeable battery but they don't seem to last as long on a charge as an alkaline battery. Sometimes that makes a difference.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

MrWizard
most of my AA AAA rechargeable cells are NiMh
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s