cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4 digit pin nos and security

Bachelor
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if a 4 digit PIN is used on your computer or iPad to access it, what happens if there are too many failed attempts? Does the device lock up and can't be used? Hopefully, that's the case since an associate had laptop and iPad stolen, both using 4 digit PINs.
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bachelor wrote:
I was wondering if a 4 digit PIN is used on your computer or iPad to access it, what happens if there are too many failed attempts? Does the device lock up and can't be used? Hopefully, that's the case since an associate had laptop and iPad stolen, both using 4 digit PINs.

I do not do I-stuff but one of two things happens

1: you have a temporary lockout

2: you have to use the full password you used before you set up the PIN.

3: On chromebooks you can do a "Factory Reset" (Power wash) restores it to "Brand new" which means you start over. you also lose anything stored on the internal memory When I Say Brand New I mean the day you first opened the box.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 4-number PIN gives you 10,000 different combinations. Pretty unlikely to guess the correct combination in 10 tries.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bachelor
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
According to Apple, If you setup a passcode there are two things that could happen. One is after 10 failed attempts the device will lock, and you will then have to restore from the latest backup from iTunes. Not clear if an iCloud backup will work. Two, if you also deflected erase data, then the device will be erased.

I would suggest that people use more than 4 digts. (Something you can remember)

Some devices allow only a 4 digit PIN. My Android tablet is that way.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they had โ€œfind my iPhoneโ€ turned on, they can log in to iCloud.com and remote wipe them. If powered up they can also be tracked until the thief wipes them after which there is no more risk anyway.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to Apple, If you setup a passcode there are two things that could happen. One is after 10 failed attempts the device will lock, and you will then have to restore from the latest backup from iTunes. Not clear if an iCloud backup will work. Two, if you also deflected erase data, then the device will be erased.

I would suggest that people use more than 4 digts. (Something you can remember)
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
That's why I always scratch the pin numbers into the back of the phone ๐Ÿ˜›

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.boston25news.com/news/trending-now/toddler-locks-ipad-for-25-million-minutes-after-repea...

A 3-year-old gave his father a big headache over the weekend when he tried to unlock an iPad.

It seems the toddler entered the wrong password so many times the device locked up, displaying a message that it was โ€œdisabled,โ€ according to Evan Osnos.

โ€œTry again in 25,536,442 minutes,โ€ a message on the screen read. Thatโ€™s a half century.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
My Samsung phone after a set number of incorrect tries completely factory resets the phone....wiping out everything.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Bachelor wrote:

For fact, in iPads: What happens after 10 failed restriction passcode attempts on iPhone? Seven failed attempts gives you 5 minutes, eight gives 15, and nine 1 hour. After ten failed attempts, the system will either lock you out completely or erase your data, depending on what you had set it to do. Once locked out, you will need to sync with iTunes to restore, so make sure you have current backups, or are backing up to iCloud.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about that for Apple devices. I think most PCs with hardware locks will allow a few cracks at the code then lock up for a period of time. Then you start trying again. If the laptop hard drive isn't encrypted thieves may remove it and access the data from their own laptops like accessing an external hard drive.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)