cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sewer hose support question

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I need to buy a sewer hose support and I'm looking at the sidewinder. I see that it comes in 10', 15', 20 and 30' and I'm debating what length to buy. I was toying with buying the longer 30' sidewinder. I'm thinking that if I need only 10' of hose support that I'd only pull out 10, 20' or whatever is needed up to 30'. The longer 30' support is $42 and 20' is $28. So neither of them is outrageously expensive. Should I go with the longer one?

Does that sound logical or am I asking for trouble?

Lastly, I'm also purchasing a 20' Rhino sewer hose and a 10' extension.
17 REPLIES 17

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought a sewer hose support in the beginning and used it maybe twice. Unless a CG or state regulation requires it, I wouldn't bother. Waay faster to just pull your hose out, lay out it out on the ground and hook it up at each end and you're done...

Don't worry about ups and downs in the hose. You don't need a support in order to provide a positive slope for drainage. When the time comes to dump the tanks, just "walk" the hose along the ground to drain any remaining contents. Easy peasy.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I must assume that you expect to be at a site for a long time ? In my 35 years of camping I have never saw the need for one . Then again I never stay for more than two or three days .

Us too, even on a full hookup site, I only attach the sewer hose when the tanks are full and put it away when done even if staying longer than a few days. I've seen too many accidents happen with sewer hoses to leave mine hooked up.
Proud father of a US Marine

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of the benefits I've found:

- My hose doesn't et all muddy if it's a rainy patch and there is not gravel between the drain and the tank valves.
- I can let the hose touch the ground when it leaves the valve and then put it on the support, creating a trap of sorts. This allows me to leave the gray tank valve open without worries of sewer flies getting into the tank or the trailer.
- Protects the hose from getting punctured, scraped up on gravel/blacktop/concrete or something sharp laying in the grass.
-Can make draining easier if the ground is pitched the opposite way.

Just a few. None earth shattering and I can see that some don't feel the need to have one. To each their own. I like one when I have FHU's.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I must assume that you expect to be at a site for a long time ? In my 35 years of camping I have never saw the need for one . Then again I never stay for more than two or three days .

That's really my feeling and my comment to the OP; what kind of camping do you do? I've toyed with the idea of buying a slinky but never really saw the need for it. We're not retired yet and go out 3 to 4 days at a time, sometimes a week or two, and we've been doing this for 15 years.

On the other hand, I definitely see the value of the slinky if you full time or camp long term.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:

Me either. Did stay at a place in southern CA January for a week. Highly unusual for us. No problem just leaving hose on the ground. If there was some sort of ordinance I would just hook up when dumping.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
If you use rain gutter for sewer support while on the road; then when at home or in storage you can invert it and slip it over your awning to protect the fabric.

A

(After reading that::: I would hose it out good first.)
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
BeerBrewer wrote:

Make sure the hose sections are screwed in to the fitting properly before first use. Don't ask how I know.

You just reminded me....
Last year while connecting my Rhino hose I had to stretch it a bit and one end came out of the connection fitting. That was a close call. Since then I check the ends every time to make sure they're tight.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of splitting the 30' sidewinder into different sizes. I'll make a 20' and a 10' to match my hoses.

Thanks!

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver2 wrote:
I carry 4 eight foot pvc sewer pipe halves (8ft of 4 inch pipe cut in half to make two troughs). They nest in each other and can telescope out to 32 ft or any length down to the one 8 fter. I use a few bungee cords to hold them up along the side and at the joints. If I am only using two of the sections I place the other two on top to keep birds from pecking the hose.

:C Great idea

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
BeerBrewer wrote:

Make sure the hose sections are screwed in to the fitting properly before first use. Don't ask how I know.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
NMDriver2 wrote:
I carry 4 eight foot pvc sewer pipe halves (8ft of 4 inch pipe cut in half to make two troughs). They nest in each other and can telescope out to 32 ft or any length down to the one 8 fter. I use a few bungee cords to hold them up along the side and at the joints. If I am only using two of the sections I place the other two on top to keep birds from pecking the hose.

You can spend all sorts of money on the fancy ones or you can do as posted above. I purchased a 10 ft section of plastic rain gutter. I cut it into a 4 and 6 foot section and use this. If I needed more I would buy another 10 footer and not cut it. I think mine cost less than $3 at a second hand store. I store it in the back of the truck and haven't had any trouble.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a Sidewinder 30 ft and split it into 3 pieces. I can use some or all and depending on the ground contour I can use the shorter or taller segments if I don't need the whole thing. Splitting it up just gives me more options. I hold the individual segments together with a strap and snap bayonet fitting for storage in the basement.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Turret Class traveler