Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Jeopardy records broken !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Jeopardy records broken !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

James lost last nite , but , he did not bet like he had been ! His final bet was less than $2,000 , not James as we knew him ! He had the correct answer but for some reason was not as agressive as we expected . Maybe he just wanted to go home !

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

video:
James Holzhauer’s Record-Breaking 32-Game Streak

He had bad luck getting only one double at the very beginning and she had all of the other ones to have more money at the end. James said he made the low bet to keep second.
Quote:

“I knew I could only win if Emma missed Final Jeopardy, as there was no way she wouldn’t bet to cover my all-in bet, so my only concern was getting overtaken by third place, and I bet just enough to make sure of locking him out," he said. "Betting big would have looked good for the cameras, but now I turn my straight bet (Emma misses) into a parlay (Emma misses, and I get it right).”

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/19 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

James lost last nite , but , he did not bet like he had been ! His final bet was less than $2,000 , not James as we knew him ! He had the correct answer but for some reason was not as agressive as we expected . Maybe he just wanted to go home !

From what I read it was the best gamble he could have taken. Keeping in mind his profession it was the most "logical" bet based on the odds of the leader being right or wrong, etc.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

His wager made perfect sense. The only way he could win was for the leader to answer incorrectly. Unless she wagered stupidly, and she obviously was not stupid. If he had bet all-in, he still could not have won unless she answered incorrectly. No point in doing that, and risking a 3rd place finish, so he wagered just enough to ensure that he would at least finish second, assuming he and they all answered correctly. Which they did.

He was playing somewhat timidly I thought, but maybe he just didn't know those topics. I've noticed he never guesses. Smart players don't guess. If you don't know, you don't buzz in.

The turning point in that game was when the lady got the second daily double, and went all in. James never recovered from that. Meanwhile, his only DD on the night was the very opening question, when all he could win was the house minimum $1k.

Alex seemed like he wasn't feeling well.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll be looking forward to seeing him when they have the tournament of champions.
It would be kind of neat to see this new lady take off the way he did

guy

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry all, that might have been my fault. This was the first episode I watched with James and he lost.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/19 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Emma came in third today.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer wrote:

He is GIFTED with excellent focus, comprehension, retention, and quick recall. Somehow, he has programmed his mind with lots of facts. I like him just fine, but I'm sure envious.
I've watched/recorded all 30 or so episodes. Totally stunned at his knowledge.. but I have missed where he got his education. Nobody gets that smart without some formal education.. or does he?

Orion

Pacific South West

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/19 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I've watched/recorded all 30 or so episodes. Totally stunned at his knowledge.. but I have missed where he got his education. Nobody gets that smart without some formal education.. or does he?

You often hear this about knowledgeable people, but I don't think it's necessarily true. I'm not gifted in any way, but I do think that most of my knowledge has been learnt since I left school. I have learnt it myself by being interested in a wide field of subjects.
I'm sure that if I saw a breakdown of what I did in school, I would not be able to write down much on those topics!

Everyone has an accent, Yes, even you! ">

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Orion wrote:

You often hear this about knowledgeable people, but I don't think it's necessarily true.
Not always, just usually. That guy could answer about so many subjects and without hesitation.. it takes a lot of self-discipline to do all that reading on your own. Let alone remembering it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Jeopardy records broken !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.