cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ohio toll road E Z pass

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered a Ohio E Z Pass online for a trip using OH & PA turnpikes. Couple questions. Where is the best location so it reads when passing the toll lane. At bottom center of dash? It says on-line behind rear view mirror ( that won't work). So that being positioned up higher on the windshield has me concerned - if I set it up on MH dash, centered.

The next is the class designations to pick from were real confusing. We have a MH with a tag. So three axles there, and the toad two axles. Total of 5 axles and 12 tires. Over 7000lbs. So that's what I put down. Not sure if I picked correctly as there was a lot of options.

I'm assuming that won't matter as the reader will calculate correctly?

Thanks!!
20 REPLIES 20

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We also were on the toll roads in Pa, Ny and into Mass. The total I quoted was for all of them. It's just a Ford Edge.
In the last pot about NC going to a lot of toll roads I hope they stop it.The reason for them is the people moving down I95 from the Northeast bringing pressures higher taxes on everything just like back home.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
PA Turnpike was completed in the early 1950s and was supposed to be paid for in 10 years---long 10 years. On the other hand the Richmond -Petersburg VA turnpike was closed several years ago. Only one I know of. The Federal Govt should not allow states to just add toll booths to an existing interstate. I see this coming in NC as they have formed a NC Turnpike commission looking at I-95, I-85, I-40, I-77. They already have some tolls around Raleigh and Charlotte Its coming.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
I have forgotten the exact total but last October we went to Plymouth Rock and other areas on Geneolgy research for Relatives on the Mayflower.
On the way from there to Michigan we took the toll roads including the Ohio Turnpike 80/90, I think, in jut our toad. It was nearer 200.00 than 100.00 total to where it intersects I65. I don't think we will be taking the mh and toad that way ever. It really is highway robbery and in states with some of the highest taxes in other categories. Why do you Folks that live there put up with it?
The idea of the Interstate System was no tolls at all!

You must have a very heavy toad. For the Ohio Turnpike:

Toll Road Name: Ohio Turnpike, Ohio

On Which Highways: Interstates 76, 80, 90

Connecting Cities or States: Indiana Toll Road to Pennsylvania Turnpike

Cost of the Toll Road: Fixed rate based on axle, weight and distance traveled

Autos: $17.50 max for full length no pass $11.75 max for length with pass

Trucks: $87.50 max for full length no pass$76.00 max for full length with pass
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
I have forgotten the exact total but last October we went to Plymouth Rock and other areas on Geneolgy research for Relatives on the Mayflower.
On the way from there to Michigan we took the toll roads including the Ohio Turnpike 80/90, I think, in jut our toad. It was nearer 200.00 than 100.00 total to where it intersects I65. I don't think we will be taking the mh and toad that way ever. It really is highway robbery and in states with some of the highest taxes in other categories. Why do you Folks that live there put up with it?

I laugh when the politicians say that they are going to put toll booths on a road to "pay for the upkeep on the road" but the roads are **** and continue to be ****... I also believe I heard that the toll booths would be taken down once a new road was paid for..... HA! I know that there was some politician from Massachusetts that said he was going to get rid of the tolls on the Mass turnpike... That never happened
Proud father of a US Marine

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
We have a EZ Pass (it attaches to the top screws on the front license plate) on our class c. The only problems we have had is when I had it attached at the bottom of the plate, sometimes it couldn't be read at the toll booth.. Moving it to the top has fixed that issue so far
Proud father of a US Marine

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got a good dose of it years ago with the old Monaco with a tag axel and my race car trailer with 3 axels--6 axels!!!!!! But it towed good.

Harrydavidson
Explorer
Explorer
I have one EZpass and use it in all my vehicles, even using it in my truck pulling the race trailer ( tandum axel) and on the Harley. I’ve never had any trouble.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I actually got my EZ pass from the PA Turnpike and have 5 vehicles listed on it and can move it from one vehicle to the other. I have had it for more than 20 years as at one time I used the pike pretty often--now hardly ever. Those things die now and then and I got a new one 1 year ago.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We do always pull the toad. The calculated tolls from OH thru PA to breezwood round trip $192.00. The other routes not using the turnpikes would add 4 hours round trip and an additional $110 in fuel costs. So I chose the turn pike getting off and on at Breezewood in PA as the most logical and safe choice for our trip. Easy on and off for fuel and overnighters going and coming.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Do you ALWAYS pull the toad? I don't so I classified mine (for Ipass) with just the MH axles. They always manage to charge me the proper amount if I'm pulling the toad, or if I am pulling our utility trailer with our pickup, for that matter. I would contact EZPass and ask them how it should be classified. You would not want to be paying more than you should.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
5 axels, I know the bridge out of MD to VA is $36 for that deal. Hate to see what it costs to run both those turnpikes with that mess. I have the same set of axels and try to avoid as many toll roads as I can---PA turnpike being the worst road for the most money.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
tiffy2000 wrote:
I put mine 2-3 inches right of center 6 inches up from bottom as instructions from EZPASS for a class A

Sounds right to me.

Lacking similar instructions for my Sun Pass, I tried to get it as close to the standard "car location" as I could.....meaning elevation mostly.....and ended up as above.

On my last trip to Miami, there were about 8 toll points.
Sun Pass properly showed the right number of axles on most of the charges but two right in the middle of the trip showed an additional axle. They corrected it when I complained......but I wonder how/why that happens.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
Anywhere on my dash seems to works fine.