cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

StraightTalk New Voice plan ... Updated 4/23/19

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone gotten the email about this and having to get a newer phone that supports it? We have a iPhone 5s and of course it won’t work. They are offering a iPhone 6 for $50that will. This phone we have is fine. I having to buy something that works for us just because they are changing. Grrr...
New Network
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
17 REPLIES 17

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rexlion wrote:
Any provider that does not maintain device compatibility for existing customers is a provider that deserves to lose lots of customers.

I will second that but a warning on 3-rd party phone services like Consumer.. Some of them (most in fact) are Verizon re-labeled.

Some are T-mobile. and Some AT&T and when it comes to consumer's I very simply do not know

I use T-mobile Started when they were Omnipoint. (long time ago)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Mama wrote:
Anyone gotten the email about this and having to get a newer phone that supports it? We have a iPhone 5s and of course it won’t work. They are offering a iPhone 6 for $50that will. This phone we have is fine. I having to buy something that works for us just because they are changing. Grrr...
New Network

I got the same e-mail from Straight Talk. My wife's phone is an iPhone 5. I also just bought refurbished iPhone 6 from Straight Talk for $49.99 but not for this reason.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
This applies to all Verizon accounts and All MVNO services that use Verizon towers

At the end of 2019, Verizon is shutting down it's 3G service entirely so all phones must be 4G capable to use their towers.

My old iPhone 5 could receive 4G. I just had to turn on 4G LTE.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Mama wrote:
New Network

$50 for an iPhone 6 is a very good deal. The 6 is still a very good phone.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
I went ahead and ordered the 6s iPhone they had for $49.99. It is reconditioned but for that price can’t loose too much. BUT one word of warning... this phone specifically said it was a requirement to get a plan. I was chatting with a rep and he tried to tell me I had to purchase a plan if I bought online... told him it wasn’t happening because I had just added $130 on Sunday... "oh, but it’ll be in reserve". Not happening.... I finally kept scrolling and down at bottom of the "Plan" page there was a choice for No plan needed.. Got him! He gave no response when I told him I found that choice..

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the statement on Verizon's own site: Verizon shuts down CDMA network in 2019

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
link

Voice and telemetry could be two different things, I don't know.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
I just read the shutdown date of AT&T 3G will be February 2022, and the article said the shutdown for the Verizon CDMA Network is expected to occur around this time as well.

There's even water meters on 3G... will your water be turned off?

Another article said all this will be allowed to to operate past 2019, as many companies have contracts with their 3G equipment into the future.

I will be here to report the outcome at that time.

Link please? Every article I've read that was published in 2018 or 2019 says Verizon will shut down 2G/3G service in December of 2019.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I will keep my 3G iphone until the last day... I will report here the day it goes offline.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon shuts down 3G

The others will be doing the same thing: Other Carriers schedule to shutdown.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I want to test it myself before recommending it.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
I just talked on the phone with another carrier... they tell me my Iphone 5s will work on Verizon towers next year with their service. She also said if I had an old 3G phone I could connect it too.

Bye ST

Which carrier?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I just talked on the phone with another carrier... they tell me my Iphone 5s will work on Verizon towers next year with their service. She also said if I had an old 3G phone I could connect it too.

Bye ST
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
2G and 3G...

What about the MILLIONS of security and fire alarm systems on 2G and 3G, I doubt they all will be shut down overnight. We will see...
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer